Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default new to netbooks..help. - 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM

i have a Inspiron Mini 10v (1011) i believe? with ubuntu 8.04 i think? ahah is there any way i can actually find out what model and what version of ubuntu i have? and if so is there a way i can update my version of ubuntu?

please help me or point me in the right direction.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM

To find out what version of Ubuntu, try looking under the "System" menu. Is there an "About Ubuntu" entry? Or run "cat /etc/lsb-release" in a terminal window.

The most technical way of finding out your version of Ubuntu (and related distros, like Debian) is to inspect the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file. It's the file that determines where the OS looks for updates.

If your Ubuntu is an old version, like 8.XX or whatever shipped with the Mini, it might be time to consider saving your files and loading a new version from scratch instead of trying to update in place.

As for which Mini you have, look on the bottom sticker. Does it say "1011"? Or input the service tag on Dell's site to look up info. Or run "sudo lshw -C system" in a terminal (= list hardware, just "system" info), it might tell you. Or run "sudo lshw -C cpu" in a terminal. A N270 or N280 CPU in a 10" Mini suggests that you have a 10v/1011.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Mini 1010 wont load setup | Display Resolution issue »