Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Smile HD Screen & Pixel Size - 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM

Hello all. I have been here before, just signed up. I have a question. I have the Mini 1012 with an 1366 (maybe 1336, confusing!) by 768resolution, and the pixels seem to be smaller and the start menu and bar a the the bottom are smaller than on the one with a non-HD screen. Yet the non-HD screen occupies the same space. Also we have a dell 17R with the same resolution and its pixels are not the same size as mine. Can somebody explain how the pixels on different size screens and HD and Non HD of the same size work,, im REALLY confused. thanks!

Let me know if im confusing, but this really confuses me- ALOT!

IF you still dont know what im saying, put simply im asking if pixels get bigger with screen size?? And how and HD and NonHD screen occupy the same space with less pixels.. ugh.. thnaaks..
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 04-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Small, high-resolution displays have small pixels. They have high dots-per-inch (DPI). If your application and/or OS use controls/buttons/etc that are a fixed pixelsize (typical historically ), then the controls/buttons/etc will be small.

If you application and/or OS use controls/buttons/etc that can be scaled freely, then the size of controls/buttons/etc can be adjusted for screens with small pixels.

In newer OSs and apps (Vista Premium and newer among Windows), support for high-DPI (small pixel) displays is improved.

In older OSs (like XP), your only scaling option is to reduce the resolution (maybe run 1280x720 on your 1366x768 screen). This will make everything bigger, but blurrier.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Small, high-resolution displays have small pixels. They have high dots-per-inch (DPI). If your application and/or OS use controls/buttons/etc that are a fixed pixelsize (typical historically ), then the controls/buttons/etc will be small.

If you application and/or OS use controls/buttons/etc that can be scaled freely, then the size of controls/buttons/etc can be adjusted for screens with small pixels.

In newer OSs and apps (Vista Premium and newer among Windows), support for high-DPI (small pixel) displays is improved.

In older OSs (like XP), your only scaling option is to reduce the resolution (maybe run 1280x720 on your 1366x768 screen). This will make everything bigger, but blurrier.

Another way to look at this is to measure the dimensions of the display. Lets say one is 6 inches wide and there are 1200 pixel across that 6 inches. now take another display say 12 inches wide with 1200 pixels across it, each pixel will be twice as wide to occupy the extra screen width. That way at equal resolutions, things will appear smaller on smaller displays.

Randy
  (#4) Old

Default 04-23-2011, 09:05 PM

so how can a pixel be twice as wide as one?
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 04-23-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnessDog View Post
so how can a pixel be twice as wide as one?
Pixels aren't a fixed size in the real world. A small, high-res screen might have 150 or more pixels per inch. A large HDTV might have only 35 pixels per inch, so each pixel is many times wider and many times taller than the small screen's.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default 05-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Pixels aren't a fixed size in the real world. A small, high-res screen might have 150 or more pixels per inch. A large HDTV might have only 35 pixels per inch, so each pixel is many times wider and many times taller than the small screen's.
I also used to think pixels are directly related to screen size, and realized it's a misconception. The number of pixels is the reason why some smaller phones tend to have higher resolution than those with bigger screens. Now I get it.

« colour issues? | Mini 1010 wont load setup »