Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 1010 wont load setup - 04-18-2011, 01:19 AM

Hello all....My wife got a mini 1010 from a friend and it says no operating system...I've tried to search the forums but no real help...I've tried to install xp/win 7 via usb dvd drive...but when it gets to the Setup is starting Windows...it freezes...ive tried to different hd and it does the same thing...I've tried the reinstallation cd as well...is it a mb issue or something else...please help...i'm lost as to the problem..Thanks
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Well, this does not sound good. The point where it freezes is before the setup dialog (where it asks what you want to do) loads? Since it's a 1010, you can't just swap in new memory, which, while it is an unlikely point of failure is at least possible.

The only suggestion I have is to try reloading the BIOS from the Dell site, if there is a bootable (DOS) installer for it. Or you might go into the BIOS and reset it to defaults (there is a key for that - not sure what it would be but it should say.)

Chances are that the problem is nothing you can fix.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 04-19-2011, 12:25 AM

Wow what a pain...downloaded bios's and still nothing...but then i put everything in the bios on default..Thanks heaps...thought it was bricked..thank god.....Thanks again
  (#4) Old

Default testing tools - 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM

@ shaggy72:
seems like your problem is solved.
but i thought to add one more thing if someone else has a similar problem.

at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/ you can download a multiboot program (windows... there is another one for linux as well) with which you can create mutliboot flash drives.

with the program are the download links as well. my favourite tools are hiren's boot cd and ultimate boot cd (nearly all testing programs you might need in one iso) and of course memtest.

just make a few hardware checks. especially RAM and HDD.
if there aren't any problems (and even with BIOS factory reset etc no help so far) try KNOPPIX.

wouldn't be the first time that acpi or apic make some problems (never had freezing but for example deactivation of the backlight... with disabled acpi/apic it works)

Last edited by BerSerK; 05-08-2011 at 10:09 PM.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaGGy72 View Post
Wow what a pain...downloaded bios's and still nothing...but then i put everything in the bios on default..Thanks heaps...thought it was bricked..thank god.....Thanks again
Sounds like whoever had the system before tried something with the BIOS settings and got them in a mode that the computer would not load any OS from any input device.

If all you had to do was reset the BIOS settings to what they were from the factory then I would say you got lucky. But then if you got the 1010 for nothing then you got lucky twice. Good luck in the future. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« HD Screen & Pixel Size | new to netbooks..help. »