Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ubunto to XP ... Lost Wireless Capability - 04-11-2011, 01:40 AM

I have had my mini 10 for some time now, but never really adapted to Ubunto

So, I have just installed XP ... Although it appears that I have some screen sizing issues, XP seems to work well enough.

But the system can not seem to find my wireless network, and in fact I can not figure how to make the system "see" wireless LANs .

Any Help out there?

thanks.
  (#2) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Did you reinstall the hardware drivers from Dell? You can download them from their support site if needed. In XP, right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager. Check to see that the wireless card is showing and that their aren't problems with the device - most likely you are missing the driver and/or controlling program, as XP doesn't have the direct wireless support that Win7 or Ubuntu both have

Sleeping_Panda

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory
  (#3) Old

Default 04-13-2011, 12:05 AM

Did your 1010 come with Ubuntu on it. You are probably having screen size issues because you need the video drivers that came with the XP version of the 1010.There is a whole set of drivers that need to be added to the 1010 to make XP work like it should.

If you are using a regular version of XP; not the restore cd that comes with the 1010, you are missing alot of stuff to get the 1010 working under XP. Wifi, web cam, sound, etc. You would be better off getting the cd from Dell instead of putting togeather everything you need.

I have used the cd on four occasions to return my 1010 to like new. Believe you me its worth its small cost. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#4) Old

Default 04-13-2011, 03:20 AM

The software for your Video and Wireless drivers are here:
Drivers & Downloads

You'll need to download them from the dell website and install them to get your dell working like it should.

Drivers are like instruction manuals for Windows XP that tells it how to work your PC, so you kinda need em.
  (#5) Old

Default 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM

thanks ... and yes, as you guessed, I am using a straight up version of XP ... not a restore disk. Did not know you could get one for a machine that came with the unix option ...
  (#6) Old

Default 04-13-2011, 09:40 PM

You can download all the files (drivers) from Dell's site; but the restore cd comes with a nice setup program that steps you through the process and makes sure you didn't miss anything.

Don't know what they want for the restore Cd (xp version); but I am sure it is available as it has a part number for it and everything. Give them a call and tell them your situation and I am sure they have them in stock. Now how much they want for the little gem is another story.

If its too much you could always (if you want windows) get Win7 which downloads most of the drivers from Microsofts website. Good luck what ever you choose. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

Tags
xp wireless

« Advice on which netbook to buy | Newbie »