Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default best os to reinstall on my mini - 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM

I have a Dell inspirion mini. It recently crashed and I am now looking for a new OS to install. I was thinking Windows 7 but would be happy with XP. I just bought the external hard drive off Ebay. But I really don't know what to look for next as in what OS to buy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I know almost nothing about what I am doing here so if anyone can tell me what I need to do to fix my mini I would love it! Thanks for your help!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM

You didn't tell us which model Mini you have. There are six of them. You also didn't tell us what is wrong with it or what size its internal "disk" is.

It would also help guide answers if you'd explain what you want to use the Mini for. Perhaps one of the Linux flavors would be of interest (especially as they're free.) You can't really buy Windows XP any more. You can buy Windows 7 but it is $110 or more.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

If your going to stick with Windows, install Windows 7. It has a better driver set and can detect nearly if not all your devices.
  (#4) Old

Default crashed mini - 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM

The mini I have is a 9. I have no idea what the internal disk drive is.
This is just my personal computer but I would like it to be fast.

The whole thing just crashed. One day I was on it working fine. The next morning I got a blank screen and a friend of mine told me it had crashed. Everthing is wiped out. There is nothing left on it. It is a blank slate.
Thanks again!
  (#5) Old

Default operating system - 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

I have a Dell inspirion mini 9. It recently crashed and I am now looking for a new OS to install. I just bought the external hard drive off Ebay. But I really don't know what to look for next as in what OS to buy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I know almost nothing about what I am doing here so if anyone can tell me what I need to do to fix my mini I would love it! Thanks for your help!
Here is the info I left out yesterday: It is a mini 9. I don't know what the internal disk is. One day it was working fine the next day it totally crashed. Black screen. I had a friend look at it and he said I would need to buy a new OS and external DVD drive to install it. I am looking on Ebay so I can save some money. Do I just need the disk to install it? Where do can I get the free OSes?
I use it for surfing and shopping. That's about it.

Thanks again!

Last edited by tooaud2; 03-29-2011 at 01:04 PM.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM

It will cost a lot ($100 or more) to buy Windows. Can you go into the BIOS at power up and see what the size of the internal disk is?

I would suggest Ubuntu Netbook Edition as a free OS and it will do what you need. Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu but others have their favorites.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default Bios - 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Okay, how do I access the BIOS? The reason I was checking on Ebay was to see if I could find an XP disk for cheap. I didn't realize there are free OSes. What if I didn't like one that I installed. Can I wipe that out and reinstall something else?
Thanks again!
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM

To access the BIOS press 2 ( I think) when you see the Dell logo at first power up. Use arrow keys to navigate.

You can get the Linux installer onto a USB flash drive and install from that.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM

Did you get Dell Restore CDs with your computer?

Mini 10v (1011)|A06|2GB|500GB|Windows 7/OSX 10.6.7|Xcode
SGT U.S.Army/Georgia State Defense Force, Search & Rescue.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM

I got them with my 1010, but they are kinda useless as where I have upgraded from XP to Win 7 Ult (Disk 1) and a lot of the drivers have been updated also (Disk 2) and as far as I am concerned the Apps Disk is crap (Disk 3), all it basically contains is all of Dells bloatware so IMAO I have 3 frisbees/coasters

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 03-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.

« Problem HELP again | Help needed, should i buy this? »