Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default mini 10 wont load some internet pages - 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM

hi my mini 10 doesnt always load some internet pages, the green bar at the bottom of screen goes along so far but just seems to get about half way. i keep refreshing but no avail, it only happens on some pages usally when going from main web page to one of their departments. i always have problems on ebay when trying to open paypal when using buy it now options. anyone have any ideas.
  (#2) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM

It sounds like you just have a poor connection. Wifi is surly not an exact science. A connection that works great one day might be only soso another day. Alot also depends on the volumn of traffic the site is experiencing at the time.

I frequent Barnes and Nobel alot and often go from a 100% signal to a 20% signal as customers get on line and off. Add a couple of people downloading and the signal goes in the tank quickly.

Alot also depends on the server you happen to connect too when you get on line. Something I do that sometimes helps is to click on another site and see if the signal gets better (hence another server) if it does go back to the site you had trouble with and try again.

The internet is so big now and so used you just never know. But I don't think its a computer problem.fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#3) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
It sounds like you just have a poor connection. Wifi is surly not an exact science. A connection that works great one day might be only soso another day. Alot also depends on the volumn of traffic the site is experiencing at the time.

I frequent Barnes and Nobel alot and often go from a 100% signal to a 20% signal as customers get on line and off. Add a couple of people downloading and the signal goes in the tank quickly.

Alot also depends on the server you happen to connect too when you get on line. Something I do that sometimes helps is to click on another site and see if the signal gets better (hence another server) if it does go back to the site you had trouble with and try again.

The internet is so big now and so used you just never know. But I don't think its a computer problem.fdalbor
Thanks for that i would agree but for instance have you any idea that when i buy somthing on Ebay, on Buy It Now, when i come to pay i can never log in at paypal. The green bar does like i said earlier and no matter how many times i try, different times, days etc, it wont connect and i have to go to my old computer and it logs on staight away.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Do you have a way of measuring your signal (incomming)? For instance Ubuntu gives you a percentage of the max you can get with the type card you have, G, G+, G+mimo, N etc. If you are below about 30% some sites will disconnect the server before you can get enough signal to display the whole site. Jolicloud is the same way; those are the two linux's I use. Again it depends on the way the server you connect to is set up.

XP gives you a signal strength in mbps's. Usually you can get by with a minimum of 5.5; but you have trouble when it gets below 11mbps's. At Barnes and Noble I usually connect at 54mbps; but as more people connect it can drop as low as 11 or 12.

If your signal is so low that the server you are connected too detects it is taking too long (how long that is I do not know), it will stop sending your system a signal. Even if you have 90% of the site loaded. Its possible your older computer gets better connections that the mini. Believe it or not dial up does not suffer from this problem.

Its odd; but many newer systems with N cards get poorer connections than older computers with G type cards. Because most of the public servers are using G cards to send signals. I have a G+mimo USB adapter that sometimes I cannot connect to some public wifi sites and have to disconnect and use one of my older G cards.

You can actually be getting your signal from more than one server for the same site. Thats the way the internet was set up in the beginning to enable data to continue to flow if part of the internet was gone. To be honest I am amazed the dang thing works as well as it does. Especially with the load it is now carrying. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#5) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Many thanks for that i will test the signal strength, again thanks

mjtravis

« Beginner questions about 10v w/ OSX 10.6 | Problem HELP again »