Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Post Advice on which netbook to buy - 03-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Hi, all. N00b member, first-time poster, a few weeks-long lurker.

After doing some cursory searching in the forum, I haven't seen my question posed in a truly straightforward fashion... and that is:

If you had a choice to make a purchase today, whether that purchase was for new or refurbished, which Dell (of course!) mini would you buy?

At the moment, I'm looking at a 1012 from Dell Factory Outlet.

Quick backgrounder:

I currently own an Inspiron Mini 10, the one with the GMA500 Intel chipset (I think it is) that doesn't work for some alt OS installs, and the one with the 2-in-1 daughter board that makes upgrading its 1GM RAM nearly impossible. However, it does have WinXP SP3.

This machine is going to my son as his first real computer.

I've recently brought it "back from the dustbin" of sitting on the shelf for about 2 years and have made it into an excellent Evernote note-taker for work; everyone I've shown it to loves it, including me

Bring on the questions and/or advice.

Thanks so much for the great forum; it's given me tons of great ideas.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM

In order to answer your question meaningfully, you'd need to tell us what the netbook would be used for and which attributes are important. However, I will also point out that Dell is likely to be refreshing its netbook line with models using the "Oak Trail" Atom processors within the next month or so and I, personally, would wait to see what those look like.

A 1012 is a fine choice for note-taking, web browsing (as long as that didn't include Flash videos) and other modest tasks.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
In order to answer your question meaningfully, you'd need to tell us what the netbook would be used for and which attributes are important. However, I will also point out that Dell is likely to be refreshing its netbook line with models using the "Oak Trail" Atom processors within the next month or so and I, personally, would wait to see what those look like.

A 1012 is a fine choice for note-taking, web browsing (as long as that didn't include Flash videos) and other modest tasks.
I think we're on the right track here.

Basically, the intended use is to be the equivalent of an iPad with a keyboard and be significantly less expensive. Nowhere near a laptop replacement, but something that can be carried into meetings and is capable of storing notes and light miscellany locally as well as synced.

Light tasks only, capable of basic word processing (such as Evernote), never MS Office (I'd use my office laptop for that) and general Internet access. iTunes is probably the "biggest" app that resides on my 1010.

Good advice on "Oak Trail;" I'll keep an eye out for that.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 03-11-2011, 12:45 AM

In that case, a 1012 would be fine and you don't need anything more.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Thumbs up 03-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
In that case, a 1012 would be fine and you don't need anything more.
Great. Thanks a lot for the advice.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-11-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_GA View Post
never MS Office (I'd use my office laptop for that)
gee I dont know, I have the full blown Office package on my 1010 complete with Project and Visio and it runs fine, I also have the full blown Visual Studio Package and never had a problem with speed on that either...and with a 750gb drive... space has never been an issue with me...I personally think if I was gonna replace my 1010, whatever it was would have to have at least the same "extras" as I have now (ie, Bluetooth, TV Tuner and HD screen) just for starters....one of the reasons I bought the 1010 over the 1011 was the HD screen and the TV Tuner.....seems to run fine with 1gb, dont get me wrong 2gb would be real nice, but eventually I will find the 2gb daughter board...even if I have to buy another 1010 thats a piece of crap just to get the 2gb board......money isnt really issue, but the $504 that Dell quoted me for the board is just a little ridiculous...I wouldnt mind $200 or so though IF I could even find it.....Good Luck with what ever you decide.....the Dell Duo kinda intrigues me as a neat little toy though.....

PS. Welcome to the forum....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 03-11-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
gee I dont know, I have the full blown Office package on my 1010 complete with Project and Visio and it runs fine, I also have the full blown Visual Studio Package and never had a problem with speed on that either...and with a 750gb drive... space has never been an issue with me...I personally think if I was gonna replace my 1010, whatever it was would have to have at least the same "extras" as I have now (ie, Bluetooth, TV Tuner and HD screen) just for starters....one of the reasons I bought the 1010 over the 1011 was the HD screen and the TV Tuner.....seems to run fine with 1gb, dont get me wrong 2gb would be real nice, but eventually I will find the 2gb daughter board...even if I have to buy another 1010 thats a piece of crap just to get the 2gb board......money isnt really issue, but the $504 that Dell quoted me for the board is just a little ridiculous...I wouldnt mind $200 or so though IF I could even find it.....Good Luck with what ever you decide.....the Dell Duo kinda intrigues me as a neat little toy though.....

PS. Welcome to the forum....
Good logic. However, since this is a one-off purchase for me, and my needs are very light for the machine, keeping the initial buy-in to under $300 is a key goal (else I would certainly go after a first-generation 16 GB iPad along with a "flimsy" keyboard).

Therefore, while I don't need Office on either one of my (soon to be) two netbooks, it is good to know that these machines are capable of handling it.

In my case, the most "extreme" I intend to get with the netbook is to potentially dual-boot with a Linux variant (seriously looking at Joli OS), more as an experimental thing than anything else.

Thanks once again for the great feedback and the warm welcome
  (#8) Old
Guru

Default 03-11-2011, 06:49 AM

I'd get a 1012 with the 6 cell battery (despite the weight ) and Broadcom Crystal HD decoder. From the outlet, you should be able to find one under $250 (with a coupon).

Even if you don't want to play HD video, the card comes as a combo with the 1366x768 screen. But be aware that some people might not like the super-res... personally, I'm one of the people who always wants more pixels. If there was a 1080p netbook, I'd get it

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#9) Old

Default 03-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
I'd get a 1012 with the 6 cell battery (despite the weight ) and Broadcom Crystal HD decoder. From the outlet, you should be able to find one under $250 (with a coupon).

Even if you don't want to play HD video, the card comes as a combo with the 1366x768 screen. But be aware that some people might not like the super-res... personally, I'm one of the people who always wants more pixels. If there was a 1080p netbook, I'd get it
Absolutely. 6-cell is a must, and the BC HD decor is definitely a go. I'm all over Dell Outlet, eBay and Amazon.

I think at this point it's just a matter of finding the best deal on a 1012.

Thanks.
  (#10) Old

Send a message via AIM to Pamster Send a message via Yahoo to Pamster
Default 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM

I got a 1012 in January, the lower res one, (stats are in my siggy) and I love it! I really enjoy using it and I just use Wordpad for light word processing. I have had no trouble with it and no problem surfing, I think you'll enjoy it. It's a great machine AND IF you DO decide to upgrade the RAM, it's much easier then say the 1018 is to do that with. Welcome to the board and good luck scoring a good deal from the outlet, that's where I got mine and I paid $203 shipped. Had a coupon plus a discount offered to me because they delayed shipping my originally ordered 1018-and MAN am I ever glad they did! They gave me $25 off and I was able to cancel it and reorder to get this great mini-computer with the 6 cell battery and a ice blue lid.

Mini 1012 / 2 GB RAM / 250 GB HDD / 1366x768 HD screen / 1.3M Pixel Webcam / HB95.11N / Win 7 Starter / 6-cell 56WHr / Black & Ice Blue / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan / Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 in Blue
Dell Inspiron 17R 2nd Gen I-5 / 4 GB RAM / 300 GB HDD / 1600 x 900 LED Display with True Life / 1.0MP Integrated 1280x720 native HD Webcam / Win 7 / 6-cell 48WHr / Black / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan

« Upgrade from 1 to 2 Gig | Ubunto to XP ... Lost Wireless Capability »