Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Question about installing Windows XP - 01-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Hello, I just got a Mini 9, that comes with Ubuntu. Once I get my new SSD and Ram stick, I plan on using my dad's disk of Windows XP to install it on my mini. I have an external cd drive to use, but my question is a really basic one, you will see I know nothing about computers:

Do I need to erase Ubuntu or do anything before putting the Windows disk in for install? Do I have to clear Ubuntu from the computer or something similar, or does it automatically do that when I install Windows? Sorry for the noob question, if this is answered in another thread, I apologize, please help point me in the right direction ops:
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question about installing Windows XP - 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Do you have a separate license to load that copy of XP? If not, then you shouldn't do it.

When you boot the install CD, it will ask you where to install. It will show the Linux partition and give you the option to delete it, which you should do.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Question about installing Windows XP - 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Thank you Steve, I will find out from my Dad whether I should buy another one. I knew it seemed to be too good to be true to use the same one. I may just keep Linux on there, it's not too bad. It's good to know how to do it, just in case, thanks for the quick response!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Question about installing Windows XP - 01-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Linux is OK but I still prefer XP over Ubuntu for the support available for Windows. If I was you I'd just use your Dad's XP to be honest. A new licence shouldn't be too expensive though.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.

« how do I get the webcam to work in windows live? | Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? »