Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Thinking of Getting A Dell Mini 10v Snow Leopard off eBay... Is it Worth It? - 02-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Forums

So I'm thinking of getting a Dell Mini 10v Snow Leopard of eBay..

What are the pros and cons.

And can I mirror the display on my Samsung TV 21" Syncmaster, I have the cables (VGA and Sound Lead ) I also have a Logitech Keyboard and Mouse, both Plug and Play. Also I heard that Mirroring can mess up the display.

Also when I close the lid, and mirror, won't it interrupt it? I'm new to the OSX Snow Leopard so I don't know much settings wise.

Also is the Dell Mini capable of everything, like WiFi, bluetooth, ect on Snow Leopard 10.6.6

The price of it with Snow Leopard is 279 plus 9 postage.
Link: I can't post links but it's on eBay
NEW Dell Mini 10v 1011 10" Netbook Mac OSX Snow Leopard

Please give me some advice.

Also I'm new to this forum, so if anything I have said is not allowed, I will remove it.
  (#2) Old

Default 02-13-2011, 04:51 PM

If it has bluetooth module it will probably all work. The main problems come with lack of familiarity with osx86. This means simple mistakes can cause headaches, if you don't have considerable experience. You can learn it ALL here, but it's gonna be learning. Also, you don't get excellent streaming video, so you may want to consider that. You can go broadcom crystalhd chip, but in osx it's not supported in flash. It is wonderful in win7, though. Price wise 279 is o.k. not great. Hope it's NEW. get a demo of batterybar program to check how used your battery may be when you get it. It is a cool and useful machine. Hope this helps. P.S. I don't mirror, so can't help, but clamshelling the lid is a gamble since heat is dissipated partially through keyboard, so don't really have experience on that.
  (#3) Old

Default 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Okay thanks, I do have familiarity with OS X Snow Leopard as my Aunty has it and I use it quite, but I rarely mess with the settings.
  (#4) Old

Default 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Well, it's not just messing with the settings. Hackintosh is not exactly an intelmac, make SURE, to get a clone, superduper or ccc, and get a clone of your drive, then you'll be safe, at least to restore, with minimal downtime.
  (#5) Old

Default 02-13-2011, 05:45 PM

what jmacie said.....

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 02-14-2011, 12:04 AM

I'll comment that if you run into difficulty and ask for help here, you'll need to have a retail DVD of OS X if you need to reinstall. I will also note that we don't allow "for sale" ads here for Minis with OS X preinstalled, though of course we can't control what is advertised elsewhere. Ebay has been known to cancel listings for non-Apple systems that even mention Mac OS in the text.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Keeps shutting down | Windows 7 Starter - How is it? »