Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to Pamster Send a message via Yahoo to Pamster
Cool What's the first thing to do with a Mini out of the box? - 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM

I am getting mine today and I want to know if I can move the backup OS file to a external hard drive, port it to my main desktop and burn a backup that way, also is this the first thing I need to do on the mini after plugging it in to start charging? I got it from the outlet and it said there was a CD and DVD included in my specs, but I don't know if that meant OS recovery disc or just drivers.

"32BIT Operating System DVD / 32BIT Operating System CD"

Does that mean I don't HAVE to burn a recovery disc in the way I described above? I don't have an external DVD writing drive so that method is the only option open for me. Is there anything I need to do before I start surfing facebook and message boards? I figure I need to activate the windows firewall and get Avira or AVG, what programs do you rely on for firewall and AV protection on the mini?

Thank you in advance for the help. I can't wait til I have it in my hands!

EDIT:

It did come with a system os Win 7 disc, but no drivers disc, it should have had one of those right? The plug is kinda cracked too, thinking of asking them to send a replacement adapter because I just have a feeling its gonna break on me...I am on it now though, got my chrome browser synched up so I got all my bookmarks imported over, first though I got AVG and did the set up on that, ran a system scan and am going to set the back up files onto the external hard drive in a few minutes. Is there anything else I should do?

Mini 1012 / 2 GB RAM / 250 GB HDD / 1366x768 HD screen / 1.3M Pixel Webcam / HB95.11N / Win 7 Starter / 6-cell 56WHr / Black & Ice Blue / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan / Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 in Blue
Dell Inspiron 17R 2nd Gen I-5 / 4 GB RAM / 300 GB HDD / 1600 x 900 LED Display with True Life / 1.0MP Integrated 1280x720 native HD Webcam / Win 7 / 6-cell 48WHr / Black / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan

Last edited by Pamster; 01-28-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: adding content originally from a double post
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 01-29-2011, 12:37 AM

First thing is to let it charge, powered off, until the charge light goes out. I'd then log in, install any updates, then make a whole-disk backup.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM

Great advice holmes4, I did let it charge up and did updates and backup is next! I have to say I am surprised its power supply was cracked, the plug part I mean, by one of the prongs is cracked enough to worry me that it might break and stick in the wall in pieces. I also didn't get a drivers and utilities disc, kind of odd but it's probably just an oversight. Trying to get with them now about these things and should have a resolution tonight on what they'll do for me about it.

EDIT:

They took care of me, they're going to send out a new power adapter and a drivers disc. So I am pleased as punch.

Mini 1012 / 2 GB RAM / 250 GB HDD / 1366x768 HD screen / 1.3M Pixel Webcam / HB95.11N / Win 7 Starter / 6-cell 56WHr / Black & Ice Blue / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan / Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 in Blue
Dell Inspiron 17R 2nd Gen I-5 / 4 GB RAM / 300 GB HDD / 1600 x 900 LED Display with True Life / 1.0MP Integrated 1280x720 native HD Webcam / Win 7 / 6-cell 48WHr / Black / Gear Head CF3000U Dual-Cool USB Laptop Cooling Fan

Last edited by Pamster; 01-29-2011 at 02:44 AM.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM

Hey Pamster, glad to see you made it over here. Holmes has been a mod & valuable member of this forum a long time. So you can trust anything he suggests.

I would still test everything like USB ports, all keys, etc. I'm sure there must be a walk-through with photos and recommendations on adding RAM from New Egg.

Do you have a couple of flash drives? Invest in some as they will become pretty essential. When I had my Mini 9 I loaded all the Windows 7 Release Candidates, newest drivers, some files backed up & portable apps.

Have fun!

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old

Default 01-29-2011, 11:44 PM

Hi MoInSTL! I really appreciate the link to this place, totally awesome set of forums devoted to the mini's we all enjoy. I will have to get a thumb drive for making a recovery flash drive out of and that will be my next thing to do on my to do list. I think I got the bases covered on the mini, it is in working order and all its ports work, though they seem to really GRAB onto things like my wireless mouse, wow was it tough to get out! I guess that's just the way it is...Not too worried about it. I love this machine overall so I am a happy Pamster!

« Dell Mini 9 video streaming issues . . . | Which is my Dell? (1011 or 1012) »