Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Cant install WinXP PRO - 12-31-2010, 03:15 AM

My mini9 has win xp home,I purchased a refurbished Dell with XP PRO.I tried to install PRO on my mini 9.I first took the ssd installed it in the runcore SSD (blank mind) box and formatted it.then installed the SSD in my mini9, put the win xp pro disc in a external DVD just like I do with win xp home,It gets to press any key to begin...Just stays there it doesnt stop or load anything.Am I doing something wrong or is it I cant use the Win Xp Pro because its for another Dell desktop?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 12-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Well, first of all what you are doing is a violation of the license, since the XP Pro license is for only the PC it came on.

Second, you don't need to format the SSD - the XP install can do that for you.

Third - many people have found that XP installs don't work on the SSD, perhaps because the disk drivers in the standard install don't like something about the drive's characteristics. If you have an XP restore CD that is meant for the Mini 9 it should work, but that's not what you want.

Windows 7 will install fine, but of course you would need to buy the upgrade.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM

Thanks I did think I purchased the disc with the computer and it was now mine and could do what I wanted with it.Didn't realize it was only for one computer.
So if I buy a XP Pro New unused it is only for one computer?? then its illegal to install on a second computer??
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew2 View Post
Thanks I did think I purchased the disc with the computer and it was now mine and could do what I wanted with it.Didn't realize it was only for one computer.
So if I buy a XP Pro New unused it is only for one computer?? then its illegal to install on a second computer??
Don't worry about it too much. Many people on this site are "license violators", including holmes himself (he has OSX installed on his Mini 9, which is against Apple's terms).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM

True, but I did buy a copy and use it on only one computer, unlike those who "borrow from a friend".

When you got the XP install disc for your Dell, it is for use only with that Dell PC. You can't take it and then install on additional PC - at least by terms of the license.

In any event, I simply mentioned that for completeness.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM

The problem you are probably having with the XP disk is it is probably a version that does not have SATA drivers on it. XP can't load without them. I had to create a new disk with the drivers added to XP for a friend. Sorry but it was a while ago I did it and I don't remember the program I used (freeware) to create the disk.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 01-01-2011, 06:54 PM

But the Mini 9 is a PATA system - no SATA. Still, it does seem to be a driver issue.

Steve

« Android 2.2 and Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 ? | trash can »