Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie Introduction! - 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Hi all!

Been browsing the forum for a while and found it very valuable at giving me a helping hand at finding lots of useful info!

Anyway, I am a photographer, with a Canon EOS 7D. I dabble with videography; time lapsing such as:
(shamless advertising I know ) and I also find remote shooting invaluable. The Canon TC-80N3 is a Canon cord used for timing sequences, delay sequences, etc. with Canon cameras, but with an RRP of around £150 this isn't a cheap bit of kit!

I currently have a Studio XPS 1640, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and 1GB Radeon HD4670 dedicated graphics and a 256GB SSD, 1080p rgbLED screen and slot loading blu-ray drive. This is my powerhouse, and by far the best computer I've ever owned. I reguarly render (Autodesk Inventor) and photoshop, watch blu rays, edit movies, etc on it.

Anyway, that's my back story! I decided to get a mini due to the fact that 'Canon EOS Utility' is free software that comes with most(?) Canon cameras, and can be used to tether the camera to allow remote shooting as well as use the functions that the £150 cord provides. After reading that EOS Utility doesn't install on the lower res screen, it was a MUST for me to get the larger screen!

The mini will not only be part of my camera gear, but will no doubt take over as my 'around the house' computer!

I have, from the Dell Outlet, purchased a Dell Mini 1012 in Black. I know it has the HD screen, as well as a 6-cell battery, 250GB HDD and the 365 bluetooth chip. After emailing the outlet, they were unable to tell me if this had the Broadcom chip, and I am awaiting a reply to tell me what WLAN card it has, and if it has WWAN.

The system cost me £215 (this includes £20 delivery and VAT), so my question is, does anyone think this will have the HD decoder and WWAN capabilities? It seems quite highly specced, so I think (hope) it may be fully loaded. Anything above what I have anyway is just a bonus to me!

I also have 2GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD both en routé from Crucial, as well as plan to put 7 Pro 32-bit on it

Anyway, apologies for my long winded introduction. I hope to find much more use from the forum!

In short, hello !
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 12-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Welcome to the forum from another 7D owner (but not as advanced as you.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Hello all,

I would like to introduce myself. I am new to Dell Mini 1012 but I have been using Dell PCs and laptops (both for work purpose) for a long time. I like their quality but I have not owned a Dell computer since 2008 (which it was the last laptop died on me :|)

I have a HP desktop with 23" monitor at home. I share it with my wife. I also have a dell latitude D630 from work for work purpose. I use my iPhone to surf and check on facebook, and news most of the time.

I can't wait to get my hands on this netbook. I know it has smaller screen, less powerful CPU and less RAMs. However, I expect it because I only want to use it for surfing the net, some video conferencing (Skype or Google Talk), and bring with me on the road. The latitude is just too big too carry around.

Anyways, Hello everyone!
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 12-31-2010, 12:13 AM

Welcome to you, too!

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 12-31-2010, 12:59 AM

Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM26 View Post
I have, from the Dell Outlet, purchased a Dell Mini 1012 in Black. I know it has the HD screen, as well as a 6-cell battery, 250GB HDD and the 365 bluetooth chip. After emailing the outlet, they were unable to tell me if this had the Broadcom chip, and I am awaiting a reply to tell me what WLAN card it has, and if it has WWAN.

The system cost me £215 (this includes £20 delivery and VAT), so my question is, does anyone think this will have the HD decoder and WWAN capabilities? It seems quite highly specced, so I think (hope) it may be fully loaded. Anything above what I have anyway is just a bonus to me!
I dunno about the UK, but on the 1012 in the US, I think the 1366x768 screen is always paired with the decoder card.

About WLAN and WWAN, there are a number of different options on the 1012, so I dunno.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Caps Lock Indicator | Android 2.2 and Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 ? »