Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Installing Xp - 01-14-2009, 06:35 AM

Getting my Mini at the weekend and plan few upgrades.Have ordered 2 gig memory and Runcore 32 gid Drive.The Mini origonally will have Ubuntu on it but plan to put XP on it straight away.I've downloaded all the drivers from the Dell website.Anything I should be aware of.Thanks Kev
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM

sounds like you have it all planed out.

Zardoz
Dell mini 9 (black) | 8GB PCIe-SSD | Corsair 2GB 667MHz | Patriot 16GB SDHC class 6 | Microsoft 7 beta 7000 | Dell BT BH-200 | Microsoft notebook optical mouse (silver) | Dell WEB Cam Software | Dell Inspiron 910 System BIOS (A04)
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Something else you might want to think about getting, a SD or SDHC card...maybe 8 or even 16 GB. You can plug that into the SD slot and leave it there as extra storage. I use mine to store documents, pictures and music. That will keep space available on your SSD for programs and apps that you want to install.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-20-2009, 01:29 AM

Looks like your good to go i have some flashdrives in a bag for my mini. Its kind of nice since the computers at work and school dont all have card reader
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-20-2009, 11:51 PM

one thing i have to warn you about is something called bloated drivers. Watch out for all the crudware dell throws in with their xp drivers that ultimately slow the system down. like the bluetooth driver that includes an applet for using it. search around and find hacked drivers that will allow your parts to remain functional yet your system fast.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM

I f you're feelin your oats you may want to try Windows 7 beta. it performs real well so far and I like the looks.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM

My system was ordered with Ubuntu, but it came with a Windows driver DVD. It contained all of the current drivers and Dell's system diagnostics. I know you said you downloaded the drivers, but it is nice to have a hard copy already in the box.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM

I plan on doing the same thing, this is going to sound stupid, but where did you download the drivers to? On your Mini itself, or to an SD card or something? Because you have to install the drivers AFTER you install Windows, right?

Edit: Mine came with a CD for Ubuntu, and one that says "Dell Drivers and Utilities". It doesnt say whether it's for Windows or Ubuntu. Does that mean I can use it after I install Windows, will it work? Or it's probably only for Ubuntu?
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-23-2009, 02:07 AM

If you want, you can download the drivers from the Dell site and put the installers on a flash drive, then run the installers from there. I do recommend downloading as the CD has older drivers.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Installing Xp - 01-23-2009, 02:24 AM

Thanks for the advice Steve, that didn't occur to me (the fact that they would be more up to date). Thanks!

Edit: I guess I'm stuck with the CD. Any time you try to download the drivers from Dell's site, you get an error message. What's up with that?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... &TabIndex=

« Need help with cloning | New Dell Mini9 in the Fallen Heroes Car. »