Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Caps Lock Indicator - 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM

Hello everyone: I have looked through many topics on the forum and can not find the answer to my question. I had to do a reinstall of Windows XP due to an internal web cam issue, after the install and installing updated drivers, I lost an on screen indicator the Caps Lock pop up. Do any of the experts out there know what utility, application or line item I need to turn on to get this function back? Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Did you have it in the first place? I've never seen it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM

Hi Steve,
Yes I had a pop up on the lower right side of the screen (small rectangle) that stayed on screen for about
four to five seconds then faded out. Talked with another person who had a similar but different style of
pop up, I run Windows XP in the classic mode which might be the difference in look and feel. Tried a DELL
help chat and gave up on that after reinstalling several drivers that should have fixed this, but had nothing
to do with the caps lock.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM

Found this thread on this forum, about the cap lock indicator...

http://mydellmini.com/forum/caps-loc...ble--t529.html

Look on page 2, 2nd and 3rd posts from the end.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the help, if the indicator is part of the original blue tooth driver I guess that DELL must have
changed something, as I downloaded the newest drivers for my reinstall. I was not aware of a hacked blue
tooth driver, I will look at some of the other tray indicators. Thanks again.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-13-2009, 11:11 PM

I don't have XP installed on my mini anymore, upgraded to Vista, so I can't check it for you. I know for a fact though that Vista has a small indicator that shows up in the lower-right corner whenever I hit the Cap Lock or Num Lock keys. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that might help.

Here's the Vista notification on my desktop...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caplock.jpg (4.4 KB, 649 views)
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-14-2009, 01:42 AM

I am extremely skeptical that Bluetooth drivers have ANYTHING to do with this.

Try going to the Accessibility or "Ease of Access" center in Control Panel and try the "Make keyboard access easier" option (may be different on XP.) One of the options is to beep when Caps Lock is pressed. Oddly, on my Mini (running Windows 7) when I enabled and then disabled this, I started getting the little popup for Caps Lock even after disabling. But my Vista system doesn't seem to do this. Weird.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Widcomm bluetooth drivers for XP certainly do have (and cause) the popups, a very popular bluetooth stack found on the OS (due to OEM bundling).

On my vista machine I don't see them and have never seen that little dialog before shown in the image (though it is similar looking and in the same place - just above the systray), using the 'out of the box' bluetooth the OS provides but then I have also turned off all accessibility / visual aid tricks and that is where I would expect it to be found on Vista.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Caps Lock Indicator - 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM

I have XP Pro and the full bluetooth driver installed. When I click Caps Lock I do get the pop up box in the lower right corner.
  (#10) Old

Default caps lock indicator..etc etc - 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM

I have the same problem.Had a brand new Dell mini12 with windowsXp and after a reinstall ofn the OS using the Cd, i installled all avilable drivers and apps but the capslock indicator is still nowhere to be seen.
its really weird no1 knows the answer...as this is the dellmini genious forum.

ferthermore i would REALLY appreciate to have a link of the place i can find all the updated dell mini12 drivers...such asfor the graphix card..

THNX in advance!

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

ok...caps lock indictator needed a reinstall of Broadcom Blutooth( A00 ) driver to show up again.

but help me find the newest drivers for the crappy gma drivers ....

« Wireless connection problem | Newbie Introduction! »