Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-13-2009, 08:54 AM

This is my first post here, I'm posting from my awesome mini 9 I just got and I had a couple questions.

I can't see the while window in some of my programs, like photoshop, because of the resolution @ 1024x600. Are there any tools that fix this or at least let me get around it?

I noticed my battery icon goes off the system tray when it's done charging. Does that mean I don't have to take my battery out when it's plugged in and charged?

Thanks.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

I've seen some others suggest tools for changing the display resolution (though it would be interpolated and may not look good), but I have no personal experience with this.

The battery does not need to be removed - the system will automatically stop charging when it's full. I'd say it's counterproductive to remove a Li-Ion battery for this purpose. I'm somewhat puzzled that the icon disappears from the tray - I didn't see that behavior. Maybe you need to adjust the notification tray properties to "always show" the battery icon.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM

I do not agree about the baterie. If you never use it now but you plan to use it in the future it is better to store it like this :
- in the dark
- at 40% level charged
- at 20°C

Stored that way a batterie lose 5% of his nominal capacity per year. (stored at 100% level charge at 60°C, it loose something like 80% of his nominal capacity every 3 month).

So, a batterie get older quicker in your laptop than in a safe place ...

Ref : http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
EDIT: in the article linked upon, they even suggest to put it in the fridge ... (so you loose only 2% nominal capacity per year)
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-13-2009, 06:30 PM

I don't read that article the same way. I suppose if you're only running the Mini from AC and never from battery, you could remove the battery but this seems to me to contradict the whole point of a netbook. The article refers to batteries getting hot in notebooks, but the design of the Mini does not lead to that. The charging circuit shuts off when the battery is full.

If you have a spare battery, then sure, leave it at 40% charge in a cool place. But a ritual of removing the active battery from the Mini seems misguided to me.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

yeah, my post was about when you do not need battery, ie your laptop is always plugged on your desk with the outlet.
(and is better in the fridge at 0°c instead in your laptop)
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Man, you just gave me an idea, check the post "Using aircraft mode so battery will live longer!" in Dell Mini 9 Discussion.
Thanks!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-14-2009, 07:44 AM

So everyone here leaves the battery in?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM

yes, but it is not good, if you always leave your battery 100%charged, it will be quite dead in something like 5 years (li-ion battery ages even if not used) : it will loose 20% of his capacity every year.
(check the other thrad, I am usggesting to use aircraft mode to stop dell mini 9 charge the battery when it is at 40%)
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-15-2009, 07:30 AM

It would seem better to keep it at 100% and get full use of it, and let it die in five years, than keep it at 40% all the time as if it were already 3 years old (@ 20%/year). By the three year mark I'll probably by buying a 12 cell for this anyhow.
  (#10) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hello! Couple questions plz. - 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Li-Ion batteries are typically good for three-four years anyway. I don't see a problem with replacing the battery at that point.

The battery in my IBM T42, four years old, is always in and usually plugged in. I still have at least 60-70% of the original capacity available.

Steve

« Ubuntu Root Password | Backup and restore to new SSD »