Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM

I'm about to become a proud new owner of Mini 9. I just ordered a certified refurbed unit with 515MB, 8GB SSD, and a 1.3 webcam with the 20% discount coupon. Final price, including shipping and tax was $272.41. Ordered it yesterday, and checked it today and saw that it's already been shipped!

I currently have eee 1000HA. I am really enjoying this machine, but wanted to play with something even smaller and without any moving parts, including fan. Saw the coupon deal and decided to go for it. I'm sure I'll find uses for both machines.

I already have a 1GB memory module that I swapped out of my eee 1000HA when I upgraded it to 2GB, so I'll plug that in to see how well the mini9 runs with 1GB... maybe upgrade to 2GB later if I feel the need. I plan on upgrading the SSD, perhaps to a 32 GB Runcore. I've been reading this board for awhile and it seems that this module works pretty well for everyone, or are there any issues I need to consider? I'm mostly a Linux/OSX user, so will likely experiment with different distributions.

Dell Mini 9 | Black | 2GB RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3Mp Webcam
Asus Eee 1000HA | Black | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Dell 360 BT | dual boot: XP SP3; Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1
Dell Mini 9 | White | 2GB RAM | 4GB SSD
  (#2) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Sounds like you've got a solid upgrade plan and that spare 1gb of RAM should serve you well in the Mini.

On every version of Linux I've tried (and I've only booted Linux or BSD on this machine), unless you're using a tmpfs or ramdisk for your /tmp directory or swapfile, 1gb of RAM serves pretty well. The bottleneck through the Mini appears to be the video system or the CPU. Watching various system monitors, my allocated memory rarely goes above about 700mb.

Everyone seems to want the biggest chips they can put in the machine, which is great. However, if the RAM isn't being used by the processor, you could probably spend the money on something more useful.

I deliberately migrated my /tmp to a tmpfs system (which requires RAM), and I've upgraded my RAM. With a 1gb /tmp system, my memory allocations never top out above ~1.7gb. My recommendation: keep a monitor running while you use the device and track your RAM usage. Even with Firefox running for a while, I can't seem to stress 1gb of RAM.

As for the RunCore SSD upgrade, I'm saving my pennies and nickels.

Keep us posted on how things go - welcome to the forums!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-13-2009, 03:35 AM

thanks for the welcome and the advice, especially on tmpfs! :idea:
makes sense... I'll look into that one more...

-bob

Asus Eee 1000HA | Black | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Dell 360 BT | dual boot: XP SP3; Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-14-2009, 03:42 AM

Welcome! Good to see another Linux guy :geek:

If you're planning on poking around you might want to have a look at EXT4, it just made it into the 2.6.28 kernel. There are a good number of cases where it provides an impressive performance increase over other commonly used file systems. I'll be toodling around with it sometime soon here.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-15-2009, 04:55 AM

interesting about ext4...
I see that it's a journaling filesystem. I think I read somewhere that non-journaling filesystems (e.g. ext2) are better for performance on SSDs, or is that blown out of proportion?

-bob

(#6) Old

Default Re: Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM

I thought it was that journaling type file systems do lots of disk writes, which is not necessarily good for SSD's that have a limited write cycle.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#7) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Just ordered a minimal machine and want to upgrade - 01-17-2009, 07:01 AM

It's not THAT limitted. You can use journalling without any problems about the lifespan of the SSD. The data gets shuffled around by the SSD controller to keep the journal from being written to the same sector over and over and over. It will be written somewhere different each time.
And from what I've read about EXT4 is that it's supposed to seriously help the journalling performance hit on SSD's..

The best bet for fixing the journalling performance hit though is to upgrade to a RunCore SSD.. Soooo much faster than the stock SSD for writes..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« Uncompressing C Drive | new mini 9 memory 1/2 gone »