Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Battery won't charge, and BIOS pblm - 10-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Just bought a new 8 cell aftermarket battery. 910 gives error message
"Warning:The battery cannot be identified. This system will be unable to charge this battery. Strike F1 to continue"

Battery arrived half charged, and will power the laptop, but is not charging. Anyone know a way around this one?

also, when I tried to update BIOS to A06, the flash program got up to the last stage, and then reported that the BIOS is not updatable,

Is there a workaround for this?
Sorry for all the NewB questions. I've had more issues with my 910 than the other 6 laptops combined
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 10-15-2010, 09:39 PM

well with the battery its probably because it is an aftermarket and not a Dell where some aftermarket may work and others will not.....not sure about the BIOS, are you sure that is for the Mini 9 and not for the Mini 10v?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 10-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Try using the BIOS updater here: Dell I910 Mini/Vostro A90 USB Key Drive flashBIOS Utility

I agree with Rich that the problem with the battery is that it is one the BIOS doesn't recognize. Many aftermarket batteries for the 910 have this issue. The only one I know of that doesn't is the "Better Power" line sold by MyDigitalDiscount. If you want to use your battery, you will need to keep the BIOS at A04 or below. You may be able to resolve the charging issue by removing and reinserting the battery while plugged in.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 10-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I agree with Rich that the problem with the battery is that it is one the BIOS doesn't recognize. Many aftermarket batteries for the 910 have this issue. The only one I know of that doesn't is the "Better Power" line sold by MyDigitalDiscount. If you want to use your battery, you will need to keep the BIOS at A04 or below. You may be able to resolve the charging issue by removing and reinserting the battery while plugged in.
Does "Better Power" make a 4-celll? I'd like to try it but don't want the extra weight/bulk of the 8-cell and I can't come up with any site besides MyDigitalDiscount that sells their battery.

I got a new, completely unbranded 4-cell from LaptopBatteryOne.com and it has great lifetime and charges under most circumstances, but gives the BIOS startup "not recognized" error. I would probably keep it, since it was under 50 bucks, but the deal-killer is that the power/battery LEDs continuously flash any time the machine is running off the battery - thus sleep and charging status LEDs patterns are obscured.

(I'm running BIOS A04, NBI 0.8.4 RC1 and MacOS 10.6.2.)

I'm surprised no one has discovered any BIOS hack (eg, adding foreign battery IDs to some table) that would allow these 3rd party batteries to function normally.

-Steve
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 10-17-2010, 05:51 PM

BIOSes are hard to hack, and there's little demand for this. I don't know if a 4-cell is available.

Steve
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM

See my previous response.

Steve

« need help with installing wireless router? | Internet connection speed Dell Mini 10 (Inspiron 1010) »