Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Always Always Always, lack of disk space............ - 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM

My AVG ANTI VIRUS is telling me that I am unprotected, when I try to update I am told that there is not enough disk space, it also pops up every 5 minutes, sometimes I have 197 sometimes even over the 200. I use the netbook for forums and emails ONLY. I have not downloaded ANYTHING music etc. I have deleted what I imagine is stuff which is safe to be deleted. You are dealing with someone who is certainly not savvi with this stuff, dummy would be flattering to me. But give me strength with this as its just getting me down.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 10-15-2010, 04:32 PM

few questions..
what Mini do you have Mini 9,Mini 10?
what OS (Operating System...ie. Windows 7, Windows XP, OSX, Linux?) are you on?
what size is the hard drive?
Have you cleaned out your temporary internet files, cookies.....Deleted old email?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks for your reply, I know its a Mini 9, but the rest of the questions I have no idea. When I buy a car I want to drive it, not have to service it. No problem, I will give the Netbook back to my grandson (he gave it to me as a birthday present) and will continue as I have been for the last 60 years ........IT ignorant.
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-18-2010, 02:06 PM

If your grandson is in dropping it off to him giving back proximity, ask him to show you a few things. That'll be much more helpful to you than a forum not being able to fully describe your setup and/or issue.

The Mini 9 probably only has a 8GB or 16GB hard drive which is minuscule compared to anything today. When your computer startes up, if it's original from Dell, should either say Ubuntu or Windows.

In either event, I think seeking help in a thread as this with your knowledge level could prove more frustrating than running out of space. I'd suggest asking your grandson or perhaps see if any members here are local to you for some real time help.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#5) Old

Default 10-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Hello Dell Forum,
This Tim the grandson of tuscaloosa, hope its not too late to continue and find out what is wrong with this netbook, while not particularly computer savvy, I am a bit more than grandad and certainly have more patience (!).

Answers to rrfranczak

1. Mini 9
2. Windows XP
3. Used Space 7.429
Free Space 211
4. I have deleted everything on the emails, sent and deleted. Temp files etc.

It seems that if you leave it for a while or when you use it, the temp files get full again and you have to delete them, this happens every 10 minutes or so.
There is no photos or music files. Grandad only uses it to rant on forums and the like, saves on postage stamps I guess. Thanks again.
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM

One thing you might want to do is get rid of AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials which a lot of people say is the best anti-virus out there for netbooks due to its unobtrusiveness.

One thing that will free you up some space is upgrading the RAM (very easy) and removing the page file.

Check out the following thread on how to:
2gb RAM Upgrade Guide

Removing the page file:
Microsoft Corporation

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM

I would not remove the pagefile unless you had 2GB RAM installed. You can disable hibernation and delete the hiber.sys file if you have that.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-19-2010, 06:10 PM

My opinion would be firstly get a bigger SSD, looks like it's only 8GB. Although XP shouldn't be that big, it won't take but a few programs/updates before your always running out of room, look for at least a 16GB. After that or along with do the 2GB RAM upgrade.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP

« SATA Drive | sound problem »