Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default newb, lookin for advice/opinions - 10-02-2010, 06:13 PM

yo, i currently have a dell inspiron 15 (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz / 4.00GB ram) and have been contemplating making a switch to the dell mini 10. i usually just run ff with multiple (3+) tabs, wmp/itunes, dell dock, gadgets, and bittorrent. i got the 15 cuz i used to use it for photoshop, but i no longer really use it, plus i figure if i'm gonna get into ps again, i'll build another desktop. i've also been reading about some 10s not having the upgradeable ram, but i'm still confused about which ones do or don't. i was just curious as to what your guys opinions would be. i was gonna go to best buy to really test one, but they'll only have the 1 gig of ram, so i'm sure that might have an affect on my opinion. for me, the pros to changing would be the portability of the mini as compared to the 15, the cons would be the serious downgrade in system specs. thoughts? appreciate it
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM

The only one that is not upgradeable is the Inspiron 1010 with the Z-series Atom processor. It is not a current model. All other Mini models have upgradeable RAM (2GB maximum in one stick).

The Mini is certainly going to be more portable than a 15" notebook. You will find it much slower than your current box. While you CAN run all of those things from a Mini, it would not be my first choice for applications such as PhotoShop. Heck - my Mini 9 struggles with Google Picasa, though it does work.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 10-03-2010, 01:36 AM

I would not recommend a netbook as a primary/only computer. Netbook CPUs are enough for many tasks, but sometimes you need the speed of a full laptop or desktop.

Consider using your current laptop as a desktop, and using a netbook for portability.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 10-03-2010, 02:35 AM

thanks for the replies. i forgot to mention that i have 2 desktops, one being the family computer and another that will soon be media only. holmes4, i don't plan to run ps, the screen is way too small for that. the specs are the same as our family comp, so i'd imagine they'd run close to the same. i tried one of the minis at best buy but like i said, they're only 1 gig, plus they have all the factory settings and bloatware, not to mention running IE. i was running fb/myspace/youtube on ie, along with webcam central and wmp, it was a bit slow, but i think that the ram upgrade might fix that. the more i think about it, i could use the desktop for the more intense programs, and then i'd have the option to take the mini with me to school...i guess i'm just looking for some reassurance in doing the switch. if i go with the 1012, i'd do a fresh install and ram upgrade. think i'd be fine running ff along with skype? and what about .avi from a flash drive? also, can anyone tell me the differences listed on best buy? i have 3 minis compared, all saying basically the same specs just different prices:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....7078392&catId=

or would you guys recommend just going straight through dell? i noticed on the dell site they offer the same mini for $100 cheaper to businesses, which i do have, along with a tax id. what's the deal with that? aaand, what's the difference between the one offered through dell U, and the regular home one? sorry for so many questions!

thanks again
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 10-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Your link goes to a comparison between 3 Dell Mini 1012 netbooks.

The first one is a pretty typical modern netbook. 1GB RAM, Win 7 Starter, 250GB hard drive, low-end N WiFi.

The middle one adds "cellular" Internet and GPS builtin.

The top one is missing the N card (G only), but it adds the Broadcom video decoder card. Also, I think all 1012 netbooks with the Broadcom card come with a higher resolution screen, too (1366x768). If I'm right, the 1024x600 screen listed is incorrect.

As for performance, most netbooks can play 480p videos encoded with the h.264/AVC codec well (typical "HQ" web videos). HD videos won't work as well. Due to poor programming, Adobe Flash (videos in webpages) struggles more than most video playback software. The Broadcom card should enable HD video decoding, even in Flash.

While I'm on the topic of Flash, Firefox addons to block Flash help alot on netbooks (NoScript, Adblock, etc). Running a whole bunch of Flash ads, games, etc., in separate tabs can cripple a fast computer. A netbook has no chance. When you need to run a Flash game or app, it's easy to allow just that one.

As for where to buy, I like to buy refurbs from Dell's Outlet. But even on new computers, you can sometimes find great deals at Dell. I think it's harder to find a great deal on a Dell elsewhere, but if you do, buy it!

I think most current Dell netbooks are just variations of the 1012. If it says 1012, then no matter where you buy it, you're getting the same basic machine. The differences are limited to options, like WiFi card, screen res, cellular Internet card, video decoder card, etc.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default 10-03-2010, 06:43 PM

cool, thanks. well i looked around on the dell site and found the m101z which i hadn't seen before and i think i've decided to just go with that one, as it will probably suit my needs much better. i appreciate all the help.

« Can you tell me what model Mini this is? | Dell mini 10v battery not recognized »