Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default operating system not found - 09-27-2010, 04:17 AM

I read the posts of similar problems and it seems to indicate that the SSD is fried. Just over a year of pretty heavy use until it went kaput. I was hoping for more like 4 years of use. Thinking about replacing the 8 GB SSD with a similar unit of the same size from ebay. I have been running XP but it takes almost the whole drive so I am thinking about trying Ubuntu netbook remix instead. I really like my mini and this dedicated forum. If I can find the help I need here to get my mini up and going again. I want to keep the repair to $50 or less and do it myself. Not sure why these drives have such a short life. I suspect overheating because despite being careful to keep the vents clear, it still gets quite hot and the vents just do not seem to be large enough for a non fan cooled netbook. Anyways I am not impressed with the life of the drives and have no confidence that buying a new model of netbook will be that much better, nor do I think I should have to buy an extended warranty or service contract to get longer life. Anyways glad to be here and will stick around for a while.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 09-27-2010, 04:28 AM

Welcome.

It's certainly possible your SSD is fried. What does the BIOS say about it? A capacity of "0MB" indicates a hardware problem.

As for the repair, you should be able to get a modest Mini 9 SSD for $50 or less. Ubuntu should have no problem fitting on a 8GB drive. I got the latest version running on my Mini 9's 4GB drive without problem, but I wouldn't recommend the 4GB drive to most people. It's slow, and you can run out of space real quick if you're not careful.

As for why Mini 9 SSDs fail, my uninformed opinion is that crummy SSD controllers panic when a small amount of flash goes bad (which is inevitable). A newer netbook can use a 2.5" SSD, and a new 2.5" SSD should be more reliable than the "Mini PCIe" SSDs used by the Mini 9 ('cause they're newer, more popular, more development effort, etc).

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 09-27-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the welcome reflex. The bios does indicate 0 GB in the hard drive. A 8 gig drive should be plenty with linux, installing new applications was the problem when XP was hogging all the space. I saved all my other files on a 16 GB SDHC card. Worked great. You may be right with your theory of SSD self destruction, I honestly haven't a clue. Hopefully SSD's become more standardized, reliable and cheaper. I just want to keep my mini going a while longer and then I will spring for a new netbook hopefully for less money and with longer battery life.

« WiFi help | 32GB Runcore Help »