Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default reviving mini 9 - 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi,
New member, and new to mini 9. I was given a broken mini9 and trying to revive it. The screen is bad, so I'm using an external monitor for now. Battery light is flashing orange, which I assume means the battery is dead. The larger problem is, it won't boot windows in regular or any safe modes. Sometimes I get BOS, other times an error message reporting that a file is missing/unreadable. I ran the built in diagnostics, and there is a problem with the drive. It reads about 25%, and then starts giving error messages.
Can the drive be saved by reformatting to mark the bad sectors, or are ssd drives different?
Also, how would I get into the system to reformat, and with what program? I could copy fdisk from a windows disk, but would it run on its own?
I tried to get the system to boot off an sd card, but that didn't seem to work. Does the mini 9 only boot from usb?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm totally new to this machine. I would like to have a dual boot windows/mac eventually, but for now I would be happy to boot at all. If I have to replace the ssd, battery, and LCD, is it even worth fixing at all?

Thanks for your help.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-23-2010, 12:48 AM

Last first - yes, the Mini 9 will not boot from the SD slot. It will boot from a USB drive.

The SSD operates like a traditional hard disk in marking bad sectors on its own. However, Mini 9 SSDs are notorious for failing in a manner like this, and trying to recover it is an exercise in futility.

You can try reinstalling Windows, using the "Advanced" installation option to get you access to a page where you can delete all existing partitions, and install into the unpartitioned space, but I expect that will fail too.

How badly do you want to revive this? Given the number of problems you describe, I'd write it off.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default SSD drive - 09-23-2010, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Steve. Is the reliability problem on the SSD limited to the STEC drive in the mini 9, or do all of them blow out?

Thanks,
Michael
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM

The STEC seems to be more susceptible, but I have seen complaints from RunCore users as well. Knock silicon, my RunCore 64GB is still going strong after nearly two years. I don't know if there's some environmental issue that is relevant.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Do you think I would be better off looking for a mini 10 using a sata drive?
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM

I don't know what your needs and resources are. If you seriously want to install OS X on it, then look for a Mini 10v (Inspiron 1011) and no other model. These are still available from walmart.com and from the Dell Outlet. I love my Mini 9, but if I were buying today I'd opt for at least a 10v.

Steve

« Bootable partition | WiFi help »