Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 Ubuntu 10.04 Wireless problem - 08-21-2010, 09:50 AM

This problem is driving me crazy, any help would be greatly appreciated

2 months ago i set this wireless up using my home network which uses WEP 40-128 bit key, 5 digit password, WEP index of 1 and an authentication of Shared
Key.
Everything has worked fine except I could never get the Fn + "2" disable feature working, it did nothing and did seem to affect the wireless network.

Last week I went to a friends house in the UK, connected to his wireless network after entering his password which worked fine.
When I returned home my machine would not connect to my home internet. I have deleted and reloaded all the wireless settings and the drivers to no avail. The wireless icon just keeps flashing and never connects.

I have another laptop using the same wireless settings on Mint 9 which is still working.

I am beginning to think I have developed a hardware fault, perhaps with the wireless card during transit??
This mini 9 works ok direct from the wired internet, only the wireless is duff.

Regards
Mike
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM

When wired, open a terminal and try:
Code:
sudo modprobe -r wl && sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source && sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source && sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb && sudo modprobe wl
I hope this will work to unload the Broadcom driver (the kernel module named "wl"), uninstall it, then reinstall it, then ensure incompatible drivers are unloaded, then reload the Broadcom driver. The command might be overkill, but I don't want to miss anything.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a LiveCD/USB (Instructions on enabling the Broadcom driver on a LiveCD/USB, make sure you note the LiveCD/USB section).

You might also be able to swap the Mini's Wifi card into your other laptop to test. But that's a bit more effort, and I don't know if your other laptop will accept the Mini's card (many laptops will, but many won't).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks ever so much for the assistance. I have tried all your suggestions and it still doesn't work. I have 3 usb sticks with ubuntu 8.10, mint 8 and 9 that used to work before I made the trip to the UK - now none of them work.
Its looking more like a hardware problem unless I'm missing something

Regards
Mike
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 08-21-2010, 02:41 PM

If you've booted off separate media and it still didn't work, that certainly sounds more like a hardware problem. It may be a simple as a loose wire or wifi card, but it may be more serious.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old

Question connections - 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM

What about a software update?

« Hello, world. | Mini 9 is full! »