Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Latitude 2100 keyboard cable connector - 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM

I think I may have broken the white part of the cable connector for my Latitude 2100 keyboard cable, is it supposed to swivel? It has come off and I can't fit the cable back in it. The black bit on the motherboard looks fine. How do I get a replacement, how does the cable go back. Help!!!

I had taken the machine apart to fit an SSD.
  (#2) Old

Default Dell support - 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Dell "support" have only one solution, a new motherboard, aargh!!!!
  (#3) Old

Default Happy Ending - 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM

I was advised by the suppliers of my machine to contact the UK warranty centre (it has a three year on-site warranty). They, fortunately, took a different view to the US on-line "support" and sent out an engineer with a new keyboard and a refurbished motherboard. As it turned out the clip was not broken just dislodged, he solved the whole problem in less than 10 minutes and used no parts. I am very impressed by the UK Dell service!

I feel a bit stupid and cack handed but all's well that ends well. I was very pleased that the Dell warranty call centre decided that as I was following Dell instructions to change a user replaceable part (the disk) the problem I caused was covered by the warranty. Much better than the offer of a $354 replacement motherboard from the US operation.

The SSD is a great improvement. Silent machine and a fair bit nippier!

Tags
2100, cable, connector, keyboard

« ram upgrade. . . | Using Print Screen button »