Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Bottom Line: Playing movies - 08-12-2010, 01:46 AM

Alright, I've read all kinds of posts and I'm not familiar with the jargon to figure it all out. I'm not concerned about streaming video. All I'm concerned with is playing the divx files I have. Currently I use VLC and it works great on my other computer. I've heard the broadcom doesn't support this player and I'd have to use WMP. Will WMP play these files just fine? Does WMP have the proper codecs to play anything divx, Xvid or anything else? I need this netbook for playing movies on an airplane and I'm concerned it won't work and I'd be better off getting a more powerful netbook/notebook. The concern is the faster powerful notebooks sacrafice quite a bit of battery power.

Thank you.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Which model are you considering? The new Mini 1012 or one of the older models (Mini 10v/1011, Mini 1010, Mini 9/910, etc.)?

I own a Mini 9 and a Mini 10v, both running Windows XP, and VLC works fine for me.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-12-2010, 02:36 AM

I'm looking into the Mini 1012 with broadcom crystal media accellerator. If I dont care about streaming and just playing local divx,xvid, and other torrent files from tv shows and movies etc, I should be ok, right?

Also I keep hearing the trackpad is horrendous but I tried it briefly at bestbuy and Im hoping it isnt as bad as advertisted.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 08-12-2010, 03:15 AM

The trackpad is terrible for those who have no patients or an open mind. It's simply different from the traditional trackpad, which frustrates some. If you keep an open mind, and give it a chance, it'll grow on you quickly. I prefer my Dell mini 10v trackpad to every other trackpad I've used. At least when using OS X. It's not quite as glamorous in Windows, in my opinion.
  (#5) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-13-2010, 10:48 PM

You might be interested in the M101z, I just got mine today and it's great, plays 720p movies in vlc just fine.

Check out my m101z pics

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-14-2010, 01:54 AM

Yeah I looked at the M101z and it looked really good but then from reviews it turns out the battery isn't that spectacular. The main purpose is for movies on the LONG plane ride and train rides. The M101z is like 3.5hrs to the Dell Mini at almost 6hrs. That's a lot more movie time and during a long flight I'd hope to be well entertained.

« Help with favicon setting | Problems with sdhc card reader on 10v »