Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Friends,
I have received a Mini 9 from a friend and I stay in India. So I can't call US Dell Support for a replacement if I brick/break it. Hence, I am being extra careful in touching the existing setup.

I have read several threads in this forum and many were very helpful. But I still am confused about a few things.

I understand that A03 is the latest BIOS update. I want to know whether the .exe of this update be installed from WinXP Home, currently present on the Mini. I read that a bootable DOS-ish USB drive with the BIOS update on it works, but I want to check if it can be done from WinXP Home (which is less of a hassle).

I have a Dell WinXP Home CD that came along with Mini. Can this OEN disk be used to create a slipstreamed ISO version of WinXP Home, which can then put on a USB and installed? Or an entirely new (non-OEM) Win XP Home needs to be bought and used?

Thanks,
Praveen

PS: On a previous Dell machine, when I had to re-install WinXp Home, I had to understand the method of slipstreaming SATA hard disk drivers. So I am familiar with nLite.

The reason I want to install a bare-bones WinXP Home is not to save disk space, but hopefully for a better battery performance.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM

The Dell A03 BIOS update is done in windows, just have a good charge on the battery, and the AC Adapter plugged in during the update.

Just to let you know there is a leek of an "official" A04 BIOS although this has not shown up on dells website yet.

As for slipstreaming you should be able to, but I am not 100% about it.

Zardoz
Dell mini 9 (black) | 8GB PCIe-SSD | Corsair 2GB 667MHz | Patriot 16GB SDHC class 6 | Microsoft 7 beta 7000 | Dell BT BH-200 | Microsoft notebook optical mouse (silver) | Dell WEB Cam Software | Dell Inspiron 910 System BIOS (A04)
  (#3) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-11-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpraveen
Friends,
I have received a Mini 9 from a friend and I stay in India. So I can't call US Dell Support for a replacement if I brick/break it. Hence, I am being extra careful in touching the existing setup.
If you don't want to run the risk of bricking I would suggest that you use the usb updater. There are too many things that could go wrong by doing it within windows!! Your absolute safest bet would be to download the exe from somms and use it.
It takes less than a minute to create the drive and make it bootable and it take about the same time or just over to flash your system.
After you have created it all you have to do is insert the usb restart and at the start up hit number 2 and select the correct device and it will do it all by itself and restart. Simple as pie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpraveen
I understand that A03 is the latest BIOS update. I want to know whether the .exe of this update be installed from WinXP Home, currently present on the Mini. I read that a bootable DOS-ish USB drive with the BIOS update on it works, but I want to check if it can be done from WinXP Home (which is less of a hassle).
Again, as stated above. It "can" be done within xp however, if you push one button wrong or you have "any" programs running while you are doing this you have a "HIGH" chance of bricking your system. If you do end up doing it within xp, I advise that you use extreme caution.

Don't say that you haven't been warned.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks a ton to both Zardoz and phoenix.stu.

I guess its better to familiarize with the safer alternative. I will try the bootable USB drive option. After all I need to have a bootable USB to install an nLited version.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-13-2009, 02:08 AM

Am I the only one that sees the irony of man living in India not being able to call tech support? :shock:
:lol:
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Nice one. :lol:
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarket
Am I the only one that sees the irony of man living in India not being able to call tech support? :shock:
:lol:
Oh no, not at all. Probably the first thing I thought of.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Reg. Installing BIOS Updates and WinXP - 01-14-2009, 04:17 AM

Friends,
Thanks a lot for your pointers. I have successfully (infact it was the most painless thing I ever did while booting) plugged in the bootable usb made from somms utility and changed the boot option to boot from usb drive. I then logged back into BIOS to load defaults and save.

Completed building my nLite image. Am in the processing of installing that now. Slightly apprehensive (after reading various errors that can occur w.r.t SSD and etc.)

« Vista Installation Boot Disk Error | newbie question »