Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default F lock (Fn) key reversed? - 08-02-2010, 01:56 AM

So I was playing a flash game on my mini10v (with windows 7) and accidentally spilled some congee (basically a thick soup thing) on the keyboard. I rushed to clean it up and even pried a few keys out (bad idea I know but I know a guy who sells replacement keys).

Afterwards, I checked if any keys were damaged and found out that the FN key was reversed. Not broken, just reversed. Basically, I didn't have to press the Fn key to access the function keys. Only when I don't want to use them do I use the Fn key. It's actually quite convenient since it makes toggling the screen brightness and volume, and print screen a one button thing but I still want to figure out how to change it back.

I looked around and seems like having Numlock turned on could cause this but .... I can't see Numlock on my keyboard. Am I blind? I feel like I'm going crazy! I never use Numlock but I always assumed it was there and, now, it's gone! I am going through an existential crisis here. How many other things have I missed in my life? Am I taking keyboard keys for granted? Do keyboard keys have feelings and, in that case, is my FN key rebelling because of my poor treatment of it?

Please help me! Thanks for all replies.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 08-02-2010, 04:11 AM

On the 1012 at least... In the BIOS menu (F2 early in the boot process), you can toggle the default. Function or multimedia.

I don't know if there's a keyboard shortcut to toggle the same setting. Maybe that got triggered?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM

@reflex. Got it, I guess that's what must've happened. Would like to know exactly what happened but oh well. Thanks for the tip!
  (#4) Old

Smile 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM

The default setting is that they are reversed, so you didn't have to do anything wrong.

Tags
function keys

« hello & email set up | Help with favicon setting »