Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Decisions... - 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Hi all, first post, at last!

Found the forum after getting a Streak a month back, my first smart phone. Enoying the Streak a lot apart from a few little glitches. Forum is great!

Anyhow, at the time I decided on the Streak over getting a "simple" phone and a Netbook.

My hand is being forced now though in that my old Sony laptop is playing up and to compound things the screen has cracked

So, back to looking at Netbooks. I'm keen on a Dell Mini but which one?!

Looking over the forum, the 10v (1011?) seems flexible but can anyone give any suggestions as to why that would be a better choice than the new 1012?

I primarily want it for basic surfing, email, forum use, shopping, music, the usual. If I can watch some DVDs & iPlayer then great.

Never used OSX and although interested to try it, it's not a priority. I mainly use Ubuntu at present and am happy with it, so dual booting to Linux would be good as a start!

Been watching the Dell Outlet but it's hard to figure out full spec. I's the battery 3 or 6 cell for instance?

Any help advice appreciated!

Cheers, Andy
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 07-29-2010, 01:03 PM

well, 1st of all the 10v is discontinued...you can still find them here and there but they are rare..the 10v is only essential if you ever want to run OSX, otherwise the new Mini 10 (1012) will fit your needs just fine...the RAM is upgradeable rather easily also. the only way you can watch DVDs on ANY Netbook is either to load it on the HD, a USB flashdrive, an SD card or to buy an external drive...NONE of the Minis by Dell or anyone comes with a DVD drive....just dont expect 1080p resolution from any of them...

PS. Welcome to forum....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Really not sure which to go for!

A shop near me has a 1011 and it looks really good. A number are passing through the Dell Outlet at very good prices too.

I realise I'd need an external drive to play/use any cd or dvds. That's fine.

Andy
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM

If you want to use it for videos, you might want to look at a 1012 with the Broadcom card or an 11z with a Pentium processor.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#5) Old

Default 08-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the advice folks!

After much deliberation, I've ordered a 1011 from the Dell Outlet

Can't wait to start playing now.

Andy
  (#6) Old

Default 08-17-2010, 02:11 AM

Heh, congrats on the decision.

I got mine from a pawn shop for $200. It came with a nifty netbook case, and a wireless rechargeable mini mouse.

Turns out, too, that the warranty on it is good thru October. already had it serviced once (power cord went out and it overheated. Tech gave me a replacement cord & new daughterboard, but didn't hook the camera up properly.So now my webcam keeps going out. Another tech is comming out to get that fixed.

« Problems with sdhc card reader on 10v | Video question »