Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Need power button part - 07-20-2010, 07:00 PM

My power jack broke so I managed to find one on ebay $20 shipped. It came and I took the mini apart (I have experience with hardware). Everything reassembled fine and all screws were accounted for. The system rebooted fine and I had been using it. I run ubuntu netbook remix, and I normally shutdown by pressing the power button and choosing shutdown from the menu that pops up. I noticed the power button wasnt responding. I fired up a shell and used the shutdown command. Now the system wont boot when I press the power button. I disassembled again and seeing as it is a hardware issue I can only guess that it is the ribbon cable that connects from the power module to the motherboard. The ribbon cable is crappily connected via adhesive and open metal prongs. Ive tried gorilla tape, masking tape, electrical tape. Im assuming there is a severed connection within the ribbon cable as nothing I try results in a responsive power button.

Does anyone know where I can buy this part or what search term I should use? I dont want to spend more than $20 as I only payed $200 for this machine, so Im not trying to buy a new palmrest assembly.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum. Which model Mini do you have? (Please use the model number, such as 910, 1010, etc.)

In the Mini 9 (910) at least, the power button ribbon is secured by a small slide-out bar that is part of the connector on the mainboard. If that is broken or missing, the ribbon will not clamp properly and won't be connected. Replacing the button and ribbon won't help in that regard.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM

I have a 910.

I know that it clips on the mainboard. The other side of that ribbon cable connects to the power button circuit board module by adhesive. There are two little metal prongs that stick out of the ribbon cable and contact metal on the button module.

I'll take some pictures of what I mean. My only guess is that those prongs arent connecting since the button wont respond. Like I said I tried to use various tapes to secure it. I'm all out of guesses so I thought I would try to get a new module for $20.

Thanks for responding.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenlunatic View Post
Ive tried gorilla tape, masking tape, electrical tape.
did you try duct tape?.....duct tape fixes EVERYTHING (lol)

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 07-21-2010, 12:28 AM

Gorilla tape is superior to duct tape.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-22-2010, 01:06 AM

bump bump bump bump bump
  (#7) Old

Default 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Hey guys. I received my part today. I ordered it from Green PC Solutions on ebay. $27.50 shipped, I just finished the replacement and I was correct in diagnosing the failure. It feels good to have my netbook back after going out-of-town with only a smartphone (dont like traveling with my larger notebooks). Thanks.

« Will my 1012 have GPS? | hello & email set up »