Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default I'm new here - 01-06-2009, 01:00 AM

I'm new and wish to introduce myself. I have had my Mini 9 for several weeks and like it very much. I began with Ubuntu, but--too complex to go into here--switched to XP. I have 1GB of memory and an 8GD drive. That is just fine for what I use it for--using the Internet and doing very light document preparation and light blogging. I haven't typed on it enough yet to get used to the apostrophe/quotation mark problem, but I hope that practice will resolve my irritation. I will be typing on it a lot more very soon.

My Mini 9 had the freezing problem, but the very first suggestion on the Dell troubleshooting list (the battery re-installation) fixed it in about 2 minutes. I also quickly fixed the screen resolution problem. And after getting rid of the junk and disabling file indexing, the machine now operates smoothly and quickly. It didn't matter to me about the F11 key, but that has now been resolved, anyway, with the bios upgrade.

It seems to me that people (not on this forum) become upset when they cannot get a netbook to act like a regular notebook. We have a fast and powerful notebook I like to use in different rooms in our house, and on trips, but it is simply too heavy and cumbersome to drag around to my office and other work sites. The Mini 9, however, is a breeze to take with me wherever I go, to do the things netbooks are intended to do.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: I'm new here - 01-06-2009, 01:02 AM

Welcome to the forum! I agree with you completely that some people here want to turn their small and light netbook into the equivalent of a "desktop replacement". I too enjoy the Mini 9 for what it is and it has exceeded my expectations.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: I'm new here - 01-06-2009, 01:06 AM

Welcome to the forums - glad to hear you're getting use out of the little monster!

I'm also surprised about what the Mini is capable of. Given it's hardware stats, I'm tremendously pleased with it's range of application.

Let us know if you have any troubles or questions --

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#4) Old

Default Re: I'm new here - 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks to both of you for the nice welcome.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: I'm new here - 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
I'm also surprised about what the Mini is capable of. Given it's hardware stats, I'm tremendously pleased with it's range of application.
Likewise. I was hoping to be able to play a few emulators like SNES9x. I hadn't imagined running 3D games like Max Payne and Black and White successfully on it.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.

« Hello everyone! | HELP-New Mini Mac OS X STEC 16GB Won't wake up? »