Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New Dell 1012 - 06-19-2010, 03:06 AM

Hi Everyone

Been reading the site for a couple of days and think it's a great site! Great participation from people.

Just got my new 1012. It was part of a bundled deal Dell had with a high-end laptop that my in-laws bought. They got the 17" laptop and I got the Mini! Mini was $200 but I didn't have any choices. I got what they shipped so: no bluetooth, no HD screen, no 250 MB drive, no Windows 7. What did I expect?

I chatted with Dell technical support and they said the memory can't be upgraded to 2GB. After reading the various posts, I don't believe them and ordered a 2GB RAM module from crucial memory. They take a while to ship so I'll have it in 11 days!

I use the computer for web and email so not a heavy use machine.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth trying change OS to either Windows 7 or OS X? I have Macs and would love to run OS X but do you think it's something a person with mid-level experience can do? Are the earlier issues with 1012's and OSX been resolved so that the sound, hardware graphics, etc.. all work? The OSX thread were a little hard to follow regarding what currently doesn't work with a 1012.

2. Can the internal drive be upgraded? What drives would you recommend? I figure if I got it open for memory anyway and potentially installing a new OS, then why not upgrade the storage?

3. I have a "n" network router. Is it an easy upgrade to the Dell 1510 "n" card? I can do stuff short of soldering.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Dell Mini 1012 (1GB, Atom, 160GB)
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-19-2010, 03:10 AM

I do not recommend OS X for the 1012.

The memory and hard drive can be upgraded. You are correct that 2GB is the maximum.

The wireless card is easy to replace - no soldering needed - but you have to make sure you get one the right size. Also, the antenna connections are fragile.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 06-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on if upgrading to Windows 7 is worth the expense (~$110) over staying on XP?

Also, what model of the "n" card is the right one for this configuration?

Should I be adding anything else to the computer while I'm at it?

Dell Mini 1012 (1GB, Atom, 160GB)
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Someone else can comment on wireless cards. I'm partial to Intel cards, but you'd want to avoid those if you want to use it under OS X.

Yes, Windows 7 is worth it. If it were me, I would put an SSD in there. Performance will go way up, but capacity is expensive.

Steve
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 06-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Jack123, its pretty common for Dell to say that about upgrades, I was on the phone with them one time and the tech kept insisting that 160gb was the largest I could use in my 1010, meanwhile I am sitting here on the system with a 640gb drive in it, dual booting XP and Win 7 Ult....dont know why they do that....either they dont want people to upgrade them or they really are just stupid.......

any way Welcome to the forum.....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 06-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Welcome to the forum, I think the reason Dell are against upgrades is that they are just covering themselves, you'd be pretty pissed if they said it was possible and they were wrong - which is like as a lot of the low-level support staff don't know too much about the individual products!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM

I think what is really going on is that the Dell sales reps are telling you only which upgrades Dell sells. If Dell doesn't sell it, they won't admit (or even know) if it's possible. Really, this is the only thing they can do as if some upgrade doesn't work you can't blame them.

Steve
  (#8) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 03:14 AM

I've never needed larger than 80GB on any of my "portable" machines, but rather storing my mass data on my main machine and being backed up to my NAS device.

Sure, you can upgrade beyond 160GB, but do you really need that much space on a machine like this? (I.e. something that won't be your main machine)

sivartk
Dell Mini 1012 (Wal-Mart Special)
Dell Inspiron 9200
Dell Inspiron 640m
Dell Studio 540s
Dell Vostro 220s
  (#9) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 03:27 AM

I think mass storage is a mind thing. How much space we need is never a question of how much space we need; but how much space we think we need. If we use it or not it does not really matter. Its the fact that we think we need it that matters.

I have never filled up a hard drive on a computer and I have been using them since 1982. Of course they did not have affordable hard drives in 1982. Sans of Atari 800. My first hard drive was 10mb. Thats right mb. I thought I was in heaven.

Programs were written in machine code and a big program was tiny compared to the monsters we use now. Oh well; my age is showing. hahahah fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#10) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 04:28 AM

We may have to suspend your Computer Geeks of America membership!

Seriously though, I choose the complete install option of every program, so I don't have to find the CD later. Just about every CD/DVD I have is ripped to the HD, along with downloaded movies and music so they're available anytime I'm on the road. I've also got the install files and CD images of important applications and useful utilities saved on the HD, so I can reinstall or put on other PCs when needed. On top of that, I usually backup up the boot partition on a semi-regular basis, just in case I do something stupid, or some other extremely very not good event occurs. While most of the above is not something I can't do without, if it only costs a few dollars more for the convenience, then I usually opt for it. It's getting to the point where even a 250G drive is beginning to feel constraining.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
I have never filled up a hard drive on a computer and I have been using them since 1982.

« how do I connect my Netbook to a network printer ? | Mini 10 cooling system. »