Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Excellent reply. For you a big hard drive is what you need because that is what you think you need. And in essence for you that is true.

Each person is different in their needs and preceived needs. I only keep on my hard drive the things I use frequently. I use several computers and have on each one the things I use on each one. I even have an old Athlon 1.2 with Win 98SE on it because several of the programs I use require Win 98SE to run. Again the age thing.

I guest I will have to reapply for my Geek membership. Thanks for you reply, I think it is great to hear other people's opinions even when they are different from mine. Its what makes the world go round. Have a great day and may none of your hard drives fill up. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#12) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 12:28 AM

Hi Everyone

Just finished installing the 2GB of RAM. Guess we all proved the Dell support guy wrong! Strange that they would even commit to "it's soldered on the board" as part of the chat session that they email you at the end. It's just factually incorrect.

Anyway, great discussion on the hard drive space. I think you have pointed me to a decision. Which is --- do nothing. I'll wait until the space fills up then get a new drive. Probably be cheaper by then anyway.

If I get a copy of Windows 7 cheap, I'll install that. Any thoughts on installing the 32 bit or 64 bit? My take on it is that Dell supports the 32 bit and the 64 bit speed difference with only 2GB of RAM is inconsequential. Is that what you understand as well?

Dell Mini 1012 (1GB, Atom, 160GB)
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 06-23-2010, 12:35 AM

The rep you spoke with was confusing the 1012 with the 1010, both of which are called "Mini 10".

I'd say go ahead and get the 64-bit version of Windows 7. You won't necessarily see a speed difference but 64-bit is the future and you'll have more address space available.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM

That may be the best course of action. The one thing I can honestly say is no matter what; I have almost never seen computer add ons ever go up in price.

By waiting (unless your hard drive is close to full), you don't lose anything. Tomorrow they will be faster, cheaper and better. And (as a TV detective used to say) you can take that to the bank. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
TI have almost never seen computer add ons ever go up in price.
I've seen many go up in price, but usually after a model or technology is out of date. For example, the US-International keyboard for the Mini 9 more than doubled in price as of earlier this year. More generally, DDR2 memory is higher priced than it was earlier this year, with DDR3 prices dropping.

As long as disk drives have a common format, prices will keep going down, so I'm less concerned about those.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« how do I connect my Netbook to a network printer ? | Mini 10 cooling system. »