Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default how do I connect my Netbook to a network printer ? - 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM

My daughter has a Dell Mini 1011 and is connected to our home wireless network but wants to use the printer connected to my XP Home desktop PC. The printer is on the network and is accessible from other XP desktops in the house but I can't find - in Windows 7 on the Netbook - how to connect.

I see something called Homegroup but that appears to be for sharing with other Windows 7 machines.

In XP, you go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Set Up A Home Or Network connection but I can't see an equivalent in Windows 7.

Any help appreciated.
  (#2) Old

Default 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM

I think you should be able to add it through the "Add a Printer" wizard (click "Devices and Printers" on the right side of the start menu, then "Add a Printer" at the top). There is an option to search for a network or wireless printer. If Windows doesn't find it automatically, you can type in the printer's address (\\ComputerName\PrinterName) and you should be able to connect. At any rate, that's what worked for me!
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Is the printer actually a network printer (has its own network IP address), or is it shared from the XP desktop? If the latter, Lauriem04's second suggestion should work. You might need to set the Mini to be in the same "workgroup" as XP, though - this is usually MSHOME or WORKGROUP. When I get home I'll look to see how this is done.

If it is actually a network printer, then as lauriem04 says, you can add it by IP address.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#4) Old

Default 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
You might need to set the Mini to be in the same "workgroup" as XP, though - this is usually MSHOME or WORKGROUP.
That's the bit I need to do but I don't know how ..... it is MSHOME but I can't find an option on the Dell Mini to hook up to it !
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Right click on Computer and select Properties. Under "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings" click "Change settings".

The System Properties page will come up with the Computer Name tab selected. Click Change. Click the radio button for Workgroup, type in MSHOME. Click OK, OK and then close the properties window. Reboot.

A shortcut to get to the above is to click the Start Orb, type "rename this computer" in the search box, then click the result.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1

Tags
printer network xp

« Mini 1010 charging | New Dell 1012 »