Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 1010 charging - 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM

My 1010 charges just fine when it is turned off. If I plug in ac power while the computer is on, the power indicator flashes from red to white and does not charge the battery. It is frustrating because I have to time what I am doing so that the battery doues not die before I complete what I am doing. then I have to shut off the computer to charge it!

Anybody have a solution???why does it charge fine when it is off, but not when power is on? I am running windows xp pro.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM

if its still under warranty call DELL it sounds like it might be motherboard problem....when the computer is off does it charge completely (100%)?...you should be able to complete what your doing if you start off with 100%...also is it a 3 cell or a 6cell..6cell you have over 5hrs to finish stuff.

PS. Welcome to the forum.......

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM

There is a very good possibility you have a defective AC adapter, and it is not putting out enough power to both charge the battery and run the computer.

Several years ago I had a laptop that the AC adapter went bad and I went to my local Wal-Mart and purchased one of those all in one units. I started having problems running the system unless the battery was fully charged. Also when I ran the system the battery would not charge at all. I had to charge the battery while the system was off and then run the system.

The docs that came with the adapter listed my computer as compatable with it; but it was not. Sounds like what is happening to your system. If you can find someone with another mini give their adapter a try before digging into your sytem. Worth a shot. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#4) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 03:55 AM

Output on the adapter is 16.4 volts. it is 3 cell and I get abou an hour 15 on a charge.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 11:13 PM

That is not very long life if the battery is fully charged. How long have you had your mini and did it ever charge while the system was running. Something does not sound right here. Not that I doubt your problem; its just an hour and 15 minutes is not very much time for a fully charged battery even if it is a year or sold old.
Like I said; mine is over 14 months old, and I still get over 2 hours life our of it. And I never turn down the brightness of the screen. "Eyes aint that good anymore". fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« Extend Battery Life | how do I connect my Netbook to a network printer ? »