Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM

I have not yet purchased a Mini 9, but since October I have been following it quite closely, reading like crazy on this website in the forums and watching youtube vids about it and I still don't know if the Mini 9 will preform well enough for my habits. So... what I want it for is to replace the laptop I leave on the coffee table that drives my wife insane, but with the mini 9 its small enough to be out of the way. So below are the specs on my laptop to aid you in answering if the mini 9 is right for me, all I use my laptop for is internet surfing, movie streaming, music (itunes), and utorrent downloads. I don't game on it or use any heavy programs, but when I surf the net I surf 4+ pages back and forth at a time pretty quickly, I am also no apposed to upgrading the mini 9 either, I was already looking into ram, runcore harddrive and wireless n card, etc. The mini 9 just arrived boxing week @ our best buy so I finally had a chance to try it out, I found it really sluggish, but I do fully understand its full of crap out of the box and running xp compressed with all kinds of virus protection and what not. But I have been back there 3 time playing with it trying to make my choice, and if I buy it straight from Dell before Jan. 9 I save $110 + tax on the selection I've made. So any info or advise would be much appreciated.

My Currant Laptop is

Gateway Gaming FX
intel Centrino Dual Core
2.0Ghz
4 Gig of Ram
160 gig 7200Rpm hard drive
Wireless N
HDMI port
Ati Graphics card with 512 of its own ram
all running Vista Prem. 64 bit

Thanks for your time... also this site is amazing source of information for a Mini 9 owner.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM

I think a Mini will be fine for you. A RunCore SSD, uncompressed, and a better security suite (I recommend Norton Internet Security 2009) will do wonders.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-04-2009, 09:43 PM

I find the FREE AVG virus software to run nice on my other computers without lagging down the system
  (#4) Old

Default Re: HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM

I think the mini should be fine for your needs (sounds somewhat similar to how I use mine--it's the by-your-side machine to do quick google searches while watching tv). However, you should be warned that it will be a decent step down from your current laptop in terms of overall power. And if you're relatively smart about how you browse/what you download, then you should be fine without any A/V on it.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Yeah, you won't confuse it for your Gateway, but it should do what you're after. I stream my iTunes library from my desktop, watch Netflix or Hulu, browse the web, use Office '07. Granted, not all of those at the same time, but it does them individually just fine.

As for the A/V, there is another thread with a LOT of opinions on that, so maybe check that one for people's preferences. It sure is something people have an opinion on!

Good luck!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#6) Old

Default Re: HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-06-2009, 01:46 AM

Thank you very much, I choice to pick one up from bestbuy tonight, if I like using it I will return it in under 14 days and order one config'd the way I want it from Dell.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! - 01-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanixRage
Thank you very much, I choice to pick one up from bestbuy tonight, if I like using it I will return it in under 14 days and order one config'd the way I want it from Dell.
Don't forget you'll be charged 15% to return to BestBuy.

« Is there an undocumented Pause key? | .exe files? »