Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Extend Battery Life - 05-28-2010, 02:48 PM

I had a look, but didn't see anything really about this posted, so it might be usefull perhaps to others like myself.

If you are in a part of the world subject to "Power Outages" (like me, often), and you need to keep your battery installed, then I would think it might be a good idea to use the Battery Meter/Battery Life setting, (fn 3 on my Mini9) and when your battery has reached 50/60% set it to stop charge. That would stop the battery getting "overstressed" due to being in a maximum charge state all the time, yet be there, in case it's needed in a Power-out.
  (#2) Old

Default 05-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi thats a really good tip.

Personally I always make sure I have more than one charged battery, but I like to make sure I can work from anywhere.

Im just glad we arent in the zone of 2 hours off plug battery life anymore.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM

I travel through Asia for 6 or 7 months every year, and I can't afford the luxury of any extra weight, so I have to take care of what I carry. I only have a 8gb drive, but I make a point of never letting it get above 50% full.

I have an 8gb SDD card always installed, plus a lightweight external hard drive for movies etc. Also a fold up dual fan cooler. I upgraded the RAM to 2Gb six months ago, which made a fantastic difference. I've had my little Mini 9 now for just over a year, and I love it to bits.
  (#4) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene View Post
I had a look, but didn't see anything really about this posted, so it might be usefull perhaps to others like myself.

If you are in a part of the world subject to "Power Outages" (like me, often), and you need to keep your battery installed, then I would think it might be a good idea to use the Battery Meter/Battery Life setting, (fn 3 on my Mini9) and when your battery has reached 50/60% set it to stop charge. That would stop the battery getting "overstressed" due to being in a maximum charge state all the time, yet be there, in case it's needed in a Power-out.
I would not worry much about harming your battery by having the unit plugged in most of the time. I have a 1010 and 90% of the time I use it with the AC adapter.

I have had the unit for over a year and I get almost the same battery life as I did when I bought the unit. About 2 hours and 15 minutes. NOw I am sure not all batteries are the same and some wear down quicker than most. But it has been my experience that having the unit plugged in does not reduce the battery life by much; at least for the first year.

Who knows that the next year will bring. But so far no harm done. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#5) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM

I would have to agree with the above. I have a 4 year old Dell 640m with an extended battery. It stays on AC power (on or off) about 95% of the time. The battery originally lasted about 5 hours, now after 4 years, I would say I get about 4.5 hours out of it.

So, based on my experience, my mini will be treated no differently.

sivartk
Dell Mini 1012 (Wal-Mart Special)
Dell Inspiron 9200
Dell Inspiron 640m
Dell Studio 540s
Dell Vostro 220s
  (#6) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 10:00 PM

If anyone is curious about the details of their battery, this utility seems to show quite a bit more detail than anything else I've seen. Here's what it showed for one of my older laptops. Looks like mine has lost about 37% of its original capacity, but still not to shabby for being 6 years old.

KuoH

Battery 1 Properties
Name DELL 1P745
Manufacturer Panasonic
Unique ID 422PanasonicDELL 1P745
Chemistry Lithium-ion
Location Sys. Battery Bay
Designed Capacity 71990 mWh
Fully Charged Capacity 46060 mWh
Current Capacity 45320 mWh (98%)
Designed Voltage 11962 mV
Wear Level 37 %
Smart Battery Version 1.0
SBDS Serial Number 0000
SBDS Manufacture Date 2004-09-13
Availability Running or Full Power
Estimated Charge Remaining 98 %
Estimated Run Time 126 Minutes (2 Hours 6 Minutes) of 128 Minutes (2 Hours 8 Minutes)
Status Discharging
Discharge Rate 21567 mW
  (#7) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 02:40 AM

Interesting and useful program. Mine has lost 22% of its original capacity after 4+ years.

sivartk
Dell Mini 1012 (Wal-Mart Special)
Dell Inspiron 9200
Dell Inspiron 640m
Dell Studio 540s
Dell Vostro 220s
  (#8) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 06-14-2010, 05:35 AM

As far as I know when it comes to the Mini, which may not apply to other laptops, when the battery reaches fully charged, the AC adapter switches so it directly powers the laptop rather than going through the battery. I'm on 81% total capacity since buying a Mini9 in November 2008 with very heavy useage running the battery from full to almost drained 5 days a week when I've been away from any power outlets.

I say this as it seems the switch which alternates between drawing power from the battery and AC power hasn't been working on my Mini9 for the last couple of months, so when reaching a full charge will disconnect from the wall outlets' supply and begin to run off battery power, unless I remove the battery and restart the netbook.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#9) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 01:06 AM

If the program is accurate; my mini and its 3 cell battery has lost 9% of its capacity after having owned it for about 14 months. Again I use it running on the AC adapter about 90% of the time.
Thanks for the neat little program, seems like it does alot for its size. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« screen res | Mini 1010 charging »