Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default My Mini 10 - 05-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi guys,

This is my Mini 10 details:

Dell Inspiron 1011

Inspiron 1011 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533Mhz, 512K L2 Cache

1GB DDR2 SDRAM,1 DIMM

10.1 Inch Widescreen Display (1024 x 600)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950

250G, 2.5inch, 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Obsidian Black

UBUNTU 8.04 (Standard Edition)

No Mobile Broadband Option Inspiron

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card

Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam

56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)

Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus Service, Initial Year

Mail-in Service after Remote Diagnosis , Initial Year

1 Year Limited Warranty

No Warranty, Year 2 and 3

Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, Initial Year

Thank you for choosing Dell

Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR
What is the best OS for my Mini ?
What is the best network card for my Mini? because I think my network card is weak.

Thank you for you cooperation
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Welcome to the forum.

There is no "best OS". You can choose Linux, Windows or, with some effort, Mac OS. Which one are you more comfortable with?

The wireless card is ok. Why do you think it is "weak"?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Ya know I am beginning to really wonder what makes one wifi card work better than another. I have three desktops a laptop and my mini and several USB wifi adapters that can be plugged into any of them. Plus the three that have wifi built in.

I live about 100 feet from where I can get broadband for my home. Yes I have to rely on dialup for most of my browsing. But less than 100 feet away live about nine people that have several broadband connections. And yes I have told them about me borrowing their connection; I even offered to pay for some of it; but because they are good neighbors (and I can fix their computers when the mess them up), all of them declined the cash. I also have four hotels around the building where I work so I have tons of wifi connections I can use.

The odd thing is because of OS's; drivers etc, there seems no relation as to which computer of mine can connect to any of these broadband connections at any specific time of the day. All of my computers are at least duel boot (Linux and a version of windows) but I never know when I can get a usable connection and when I can't.

Using the USB adapters I can use the G+ mimo adapter and get a 45% signal but very slow flow of data, change to the regular G adapter, only get a 6% signal; but a great flow of data. This is using the same computer with the same OS only a few minuter later. Of course different drivers; some under windows; some under Linux.
Sure I realize the flow of data over the internet is controled by many other factors besides just your wifi adapter. My wife has one computer; an old Toshiba Satellite M35X laptop that is so old the battery has been dead for years; but the damn thing picks up wifi signals like it was sitting two feet from the router the signal was comming from all the time.

Some time I feel embrassed when my newer equipment gets shown up by her one lonely system.

I guest my point is (to this much too long story) is don't give up on a wifi card or adapter until you have checked it out under a barrage of conditions and even then I'm not sure the card is the problem. Good luck fellas; fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« A.C. to battery | jucheck »