Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Help Please - Bricked Mini10v 1011 - 05-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Help required please with this.

I tried to repair a bios upgrade on this Netbook which had gone wrong previously. After reading various threads in this forum I tried to repair the bois using methods as described, mainly using chrisdisk etc, however I tried the Mini9 bios flash and now I cannot get the netbook to go beyond a blank screen no matter which version of bois I try.

I've tried the Fn+B keys and Fn+End keys and niether works. I've tried Floppies, USB drives and USB DVD drive and it still won't play.

I'm quite desperate now and would apreciate some help here.

Thanks in anticipation.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM

guess its kinda too late now, but why would you use Mini 9 BIOS flash on a Mini 10v anyway? just curious

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Help Please - Bricked Mini10v 1011 - 05-17-2010, 08:04 PM

I did'nt realise I had used Mini 9 Bios fix until it was too late.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Just an update.

I revived my netbook with this excellent link: http://web.telia.com/~u43311424/crisis-recovery-disk/

Using the 'PHLASH1B' file and renaming it to 'PHLASH16' then re-compiling the new disk as instructed.

The only issue I have now is that it's presenting me with a request for the bios password which I don't have. I bought the machine from someone on Ebay so I can't call Dell for help using the service tag.

Anyone got any suggestions?
  (#4) Old

Default password - 05-18-2010, 03:33 AM

try the word "clear" without quotation marks
  (#5) Old

Default 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Did you buy it from the guy without warranty?

DVD+RW for my favorite musics and movies
  (#6) Old

Default 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicscar View Post
Did you buy it from the guy without warranty?
Unfortunately yes. Duhh

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacie View Post
try the word "clear" without quotation marks

Tried clear but it still refuses to let me in.
  (#7) Old

Default Bricked 10V - 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Did you check the service tag # warranty status, to be sure there is no warranty left?
  (#8) Old

Default 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundertracks View Post
Did you check the service tag # warranty status, to be sure there is no warranty left?
No warranty
  (#9) Old

Default 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM

I think you can clear the bios password by resetting the bios. On a desktop there is usually a jumper on the motherboard or worst case you pull the little coin battery out for a while.
On a laptop there isn't a jumper to short or anything, you just need to pull the coin battery.

A guy here fixed some bios problems by removing the battery for a while:
Locked BIOS on Mini 10v - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

I don't remember how hard this may be for a 10v so you will probably need to consult some disassembly guides.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaster View Post
I think you can clear the bios password by resetting the bios. On a desktop there is usually a jumper on the motherboard or worst case you pull the little coin battery out for a while.
On a laptop there isn't a jumper to short or anything, you just need to pull the coin battery.

A guy here fixed some bios problems by removing the battery for a while:
Locked BIOS on Mini 10v - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

I don't remember how hard this may be for a 10v so you will probably need to consult some disassembly guides.
Sorry gaster. I've done this a number of times however what I hav'nt tried yet is to power up or re-flash the bios with the battery unplugged. Maybe that would work.

I have read that the password is stored in a Non-Volatile-RAM on the motherboard and there is an option to short out 2 pins on the chip at boot time. Any thoughts on this?

« baattery life | A.C. to battery »