Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default battery life - 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi, I have a Mini 9, and I've read that using appliances from the USB will shorten the overall lifetime of a battery. I use a small pair of cooling fans on a fold-up stand, (you've probably seen the sort), which must help to cool the battery also. Any thoughts on overall battery life effect using this this please? Which way does it tip the balance?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM

The battery doesn't need cooling, and any air you blow on the battery casing isn't going to get to the battery cells themselves. The draw from typical cooling fans is small, perhaps less than a watt, but, not insignificant.

My experience is that the 9 does not need a fan at all. It does benefit from having open air under the base, such as with a perforated metal stand or even a book propping up the back edge.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Anything that draws more current from the battery is going to shorten run time. And it's not the battery itself that gets hot, it's the motherboard and other internals that are consuming the power and producing heat.
As for overall battery lifetime, it probably won't make much difference although increasing the number of discharge/charge cycles the battery accumulates may shorten its life somewhat. That said, the battery is meant to be used and recharged.
Running those fans is also something of a catch-22 situation. By drawing more current from the Mini to power the fans, you are increasing the amount of heat being produced for the fans to dissipate. So the overall benefit in cooling may not be that much.
edit- Holmes posted while I was typing, I do agree that the fans are not really needed.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM

if you are gonna use anything at all use a netbook chill pad, they will cool the Mini and at the same time also raise the unit tp allow more air underneath especially if you use it on a surface such as a bed or even your lap...I have one and I also have a larger laptop chill pad for my 17in HP...I swear by them.....you dont even have to plug them in if you dont want to, just having the Mini on top of one will help cool it.and if you decide to plug it in to the USB, the amount of power required will not even be noticed.

this is the one I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-...0mat&cp=1&lp=3

it fits in my case nicely also

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
if you are gonna use anything at all use a netbook chill pad, they will cool the Mini and at the same time also raise the unit tp allow more air underneath especially if you use it on a surface such as a bed or even your lap...I have one and I also have a larger laptop chill pad for my 17in HP...I swear by them.....you dont even have to plug them in if you dont want to, just having the Mini on top of one will help cool it.and if you decide to plug it in to the USB, the amount of power required will not even be noticed.

this is the one I have:

Targus - Netbook Chill Mat - Black - AWE39US1

it fits in my case nicely also
Yes, it's on a similar basis to the one I use. Sometimes, depending on what I'm doing, the Mini gets a bit warm, and I plug the cooler into the U.S.B. but I agree, even just a reasonable gap underneath makes a big difference. I'm always amazed when I see people with netbooks sat on their knees blocking the air vents. I was really wondering about the longevity of the battery with the fans, as compared to without. Maybe it doesn't really make much difference do you think?
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 05-15-2010, 06:55 PM

The Mini 9 takes about 10W at idle. If your fan takes 1W, that's a 10% increase in power consumption (and therefore a 10% decrease in battery life).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#7) Old

Default 05-15-2010, 10:52 PM

The heat from the motherboard shortens battery life. You can safely remove the battery while working from AC (unless you want to charge it, of course).
  (#8) Old

Default 05-16-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassle View Post
The heat from the motherboard shortens battery life. You can safely remove the battery while working from AC (unless you want to charge it, of course).
Hi, Ufortunately not. I spend a lot of time in South East Asia and often there are power- cuts, so my batttery has to be inserted all the time.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-16-2010, 09:21 AM

I suppose really, if you want to use cooling fans and want to avoid the drain on the netbook, it's quite simple just to use a USB mains adaptor, and draw it direct from the A.C. supply rather than plugging into the netbook.

« Mini 10 GPS install | Help Please - Bricked Mini10v 1011 »