Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackRage15
Default Mini 10 GPS install - 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Hello Mini owners. I have a question and please forgive me if it has already been asked. I didn't have to patience to read all of the previously posted questions. What I want to know is can I add an internal GPS receiver to a mini that doesn't have this feature? I have read that these features are available on the newer minis. Can I just upgrade mine or am I expected to buy a newer model?

Thank U 4 U'r time.
Rage
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!

The simple answer is yes, it's possible. However, doing this usually requires some modification to install an internal USB hub. Also, the GPS antenna will be somewhat shielded and may not work very well. Which model Mini do you have?

You can start here: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-14-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks. I feel welcomed. My model is the Mini 10v. I didn't really look into what features these things had when I bought it. Now that I've been playing with it, I'm noticing some of the other features the new ones come with. So I figured why buy a new one when I can just upgrade the one I have. I guess what I'm asking is are the parts interchangeable. Can I just buy the receiver and install it in mine. And since I don't have the knowledge or skill level required to do these things myself, who can I contact to have theses things done.\\BlackRage15
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 05-15-2010, 12:38 AM

I don't know of anyone who offers this as a service. Typically, when Dell sells a model with GPS it's part of a WWAN (cellular wireless) card. As I suggested, you can buy a USB GPS receiver and hook it up to a USB port inside the Mini, but you need to do some soldering (typically) to add a USB port.

I suggest you ask in one of our 10v sections for advice from people more familiar with the 10v.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 05-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Thank U. U have been very helpful. I will take U'r advice and ask some of the 10v owners. I appreciate U'r help.

« used 1010 and system restore | baattery life »