Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New Mini 9 owner (: - 05-09-2010, 04:15 AM

Hi everyone,
I am the proud owner of this black Dell Mini 9 netbook since Wednesday May 05.
The Previous Owner replaced the keyboard (with another US model; I'm waiting for a Greek model) and upgraded the RAM to 2GB. It still has its original 4GB SSD though. I uninstalled OpenOffice.org in favor of Battle for Wesnoth; that should give you an idea of how seriously koolaid (for that is what I have named her) is going to be used. =P
Maybe once I'm not so busy with university, I'll touchscreen or slate mod her. But a larger SSD is a larger priority.

I've seen a lot of Mini-PCI-e to ATA-ZIF 1.8" HDD adapters on ebay and 1.8" drives going for about $1/GB. Would it be feasible to hack a 1.8" drive in anywhere? I'd get a lot more storage per dollar that way; always important for a poorish student.

And... a question having to deal with my financial situation too: I paid $145 shipped for koolaid. Was that a fair price with its condition (slightly scratched up, but with a RAM upgrade) or did I get sheeped?

Thank you in advance, and cheers,
Ali

PS: I consider koolaid female and ocp (my thinkpad in my sig) male. Don't ask me why.

Mini 9 owner since 2010-05-05!
Mini 9 / black/silver / 2GB / 4GB stec / cam / bluetooth / Ubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10
IBM Thinkpad X60 / black / 2.5GB / 160GB WD / Ubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-09-2010, 12:50 PM

The problem is that the SSD MiniPCIe socket is only MiniPCIe physically. Electrically, it's custom wired and connected to a PATA controller. The only real MiniPCIe slot is the one the WLAN card is plugged into.

I have seen where someone actually wired up a ribbon cable to the SSD slot and ran it to a 1.8" drive, but there was no room for the drive inside the case.

You don't have many options here, though a 16GB SSD isn't all that expensive and should work well for Linux, especially if you put a 16GB or 32GB SD card in the SD slot for additional storage (you can't boot from this.)

I think $145 was a fair price.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 05-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Welcome.

That seems like a great deal to me. Except for the SSD, it's maxed out.

As for a 1.8" drive, I don't know of anyone who's put one in a Mini 9, but it seems possible for a dedicated modder. Personally, I have zero interest in replacing my slow SSD with a slower 1.8" HDD.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex
That seems like a great deal to me. Except for the SSD, it's maxed out.

As for a 1.8" drive, I don't know of anyone who's put one in a Mini 9, but it seems possible for a dedicated modder. Personally, I have zero interest in replacing my slow SSD with a slower 1.8" HDD.
I find it kind of curious that the PO decided to upgrade RAM before SSD. I'm not sure if it would be possible to physically fit the 1.8" hard drive in the chassis though... I don't see anywhere it would easily fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
The problem is that the SSD MiniPCIe socket is only MiniPCIe physically. Electrically, it's custom wired and connected to a PATA controller. The only real MiniPCIe slot is the one the WLAN card is plugged into.
The adapters I saw on ebay were mechanical only - there were no chips on them. So I assumed as such - that there were IDE pins in the slot.

Thanks for the welcomes ... I'm sure I will find this forum very useful as I grow to know and lo{v|ath}e my mini.

Mini 9 / black/silver / 2GB / 4GB stec / cam / bluetooth / Ubuntu Netbook Edition 9.10
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM

The adapters you see are intended for real MiniPCIe slots, which have USB and SATA pins. They will not work in the SSD slot of the Mini 9. If you found one that claims to be an ATA (PATA) adapter, I'd like to see a link.

Steve
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitales View Post
I find it kind of curious that the PO decided to upgrade RAM before SSD.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I upgraded the RAM in my Mini 9 back when RAM was dirt cheap, and the 4GB SSD is still perfectly adequate, so that's how I ended up with 2GB of RAM and a 4GB SSD.

(#7) Old

Default 05-09-2010, 07:45 PM

This is the one I found: 1.8" ZIF SSD HDD to mini PCI-e Adapter for EEEPC 901 - eBay (item 280362361058 end time May-19-10 10:35:14 PDT)

It goes to an IDE 1.8" hard drive with a ZIF connection.

I also found these: CF to Mini-PCI E Express Adapter Card Left Asus EeePC - eBay (item 260475506135 end time Jun-08-10 03:12:46 PDT)

On neither part do I see any chips that could be USB -> IDE or SATA -> IDE converters - only a few surface mount resistors or capacitors.

The latter adapter seems promising since there is a 32GB CF card for <$80 on the Egg: Newegg.com - WINTEC FileMate 32GB Compact Flash &#40;CF&#41; Flash Card Model 3FMCF32GBW-R

and 32GB solid state drives are considerably expensiver.

I don't see any reason this wouldn't work, but I am not experienced with the mini's hardware; I'm only going by ebay listings photos and my prior knowledge of laptops. Maybe I should fork this thread to the Mini 9 mods forum.

(#8) Old
Administrator

Default 05-09-2010, 07:58 PM

There's a reason it says it's for the Asus Eee - that model uses SATA SSDs. As the description says, the adapter provides USB and SATA outputs, but it requires a "real" MiniPCIe slot, not the "fake" one in the Mini 9. Even the USB pins aren't hooked up there.

It won't work.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM

Aha... I didn't know the Mini 9's SSD slot was that oddball.
Not to mention that both adapters I linked to were 70mm long, and that requires case modding to fit.

(#10) Old
Guru

Default 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Some Asus Eee netbooks used "Mini PCIe" SSDs which are electrically compatible with the Mini 9, but the Eee SSDs are too long to work in a Mini 9 without modification. Search "mini 9 70mm ssd" for more info. So, I would expect an adapter that works in one of those Eee netbooks would also work in a Mini 9 (with modification). But as holmes noted, some Eee netbooks use SATA "Mini PCIe" drives. An adapter aimed at those models won't work in a Mini 9. The Mini 9 uses a PATA "Mini PCIe" SSD.

The eBay adapter you linked to appears to be aimed at PATA Eee models (the master-slave switch gives it away). But it also includes mention of USB and SATA, I guess for people who are going to mod the adapter and use it in a SATA Eee or in a Mini PCIe slot with USB.

A simple CF-MiniPCIe adapter for Asus EEE is probably PATA, and may work in the Mini 9.

« Can I upgrade my processor? | Mini 9 hard drive »