Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-03-2009, 03:18 AM

Hello All and Happy New Year!
Just joined up and have to admit that I don't have Mini 9 NOR do I have one on order - YET! However, I am in the research stage and it looks like the Mini 9 is on my short list, along with the Samsung NC10 and HP Mini 1000. I am also going to wait just a little longer to see what goodies are revealed at next weeks CES!!
However, I live in the Caribbean (Antigua, to be exact) and have to research the hell out of these things before I lay down my hard-earned cash, because it is a lot more difficult to return them from here than if I lived in the States!!

That being said, got a question that I can't seem to find a straight answer to:

Do ALL Mini 9's come with the WWAN SIM slot?

I am trying to find out exactly what I would need to do, were I to purchase a Mini 9 WITHOUT 3G activation, then went to my local carrier here in Antigua and signed up for their 3G Data package (3G is slowly being rolled out here in Antigua).

I have attempted to contact Dell's Latin America Sales Reps for clarification and they are clueless.

I can easily acquire a Mini 9 from the States and bring it in, but don't know if it would have the necessary hardware. I know that some Mini 9's have the slot for the SIM card, but no WWAN module, which I would have to buy & install myself. However, if there is no SIM slot, I would be up a creek without the proverbial paddle!!

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Free your mind................your Ass WILL follow!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM

Yes, all have the sim slot. BUT, not all have the connectors installed that would allow you to insert a wwan card. Some seem to not have the connectors or the antenae installed either. If your carrier is GSM, then you can either order the AT&T card and install your carriers sim or order one from Dell outlet that has the wwan slot installed and purchase a card.

check the outlet and you will see some with all the wwan connectors and some not. There is also some discussions and video on the net on how to install the necessary connectors to the blank slot.

Good luck!
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default Re: WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Eh? If the Mini was not provided with the socket for the WWAN card, it doesn't have the SIM slot either.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Ok, now we seem to be getting somewhere......I see on the Outlet that some come with the WWAN Slot - some don't.

If I get one that HAS the Sim Slot, is that a good indication that it will also have the internal WWAN connectors and antennae??

Therefore, all I would have to do is purchase a 3G Data card from my Provider and I am cooking!! Correct??

(#5) Old

Default Re: WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Anyone? Bueller...........Bueller.............Anyone...... ..................???

(#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM

I would expect that only models that come with the WWAN option will have the card connector and the SIM slot.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: WWAN on Dell Mini 9 - 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I would expect that only models that come with the WWAN option will have the card connector and the SIM slot.
Thanks, holmes4.
I think it should be safe to assume that if I opt for the version with the WWAN slot at the Outlet, then it SHOULD come with the connector and necessary hardware. Therefore, all I should have to do is insert my Carrier's 3G data card and I'll be off to the races.

We shall see!!

« ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update | security software »