Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Taking the plunge! - 05-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Over the last few weeks I have been looking for a mini 10v 1011 on the Dell outlet site. Nothing worse than finding the right one, only to have it disappear. Or to have it say none are available, other than the Nickelodeon. That site is piece of work!

I was finally able to find a 10v with a 6 cell battery, N wireless, and a 250 GB hard drive. It is in the "being shipped" mode.

Can't wait. This is going straight into the dual-boot hackintosh mod. This will replace a 12-inch powerbook for me, and if it works as good as advertised, another will go to my daughter, age 5. She loves her old powerbook, but sadly, Flash is making it struggle.

Going to order the Bluetooth off ebay. Not sure about the memory, as that is quite a process to get to it.

Wondering about the wlan card. Going to be hitting the search feature quite alot.

Thanks for all you who have gone before!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Welcome.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM

If you see the right configuration that you want - just order the second one for your daughter before they disappear!

I just built mine and absolutely in love with it. I did upgrade to 10.6.3 and am having the intermittent sound issue but one reboot fixes that. Takes about 10 seconds to shut down and 30-40 seconds to boot up so really - its no big deal. I do hope it gets fixed though. If that would be frustrating to you... just stay at 10.6.2 until they resolve it.

Once you start a bunch of multitasking - I can see where the 2 GB upgrade would be nice. Not necessary - but definitely nice. I find myself going back once in a while and shutting a few apps down. Definitely not the end of the world, and $40-50 will fix that.

My girlfriend and I bought this one with the intention of sharing it. I will be ordering another one very, very soon!

Hope that helps!
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Welcome to the forum....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Skype battery Power Mode | Can I upgrade my processor? »