Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default .exe files? - 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM

Hi - brand new Mini user. My daughter is trying to open .exe files on her Mini, but we can't figure out how to unpack/unzip them! Is it possible? Thanks for your help.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: .exe files? - 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Sounds like you have unbntu linux installed on your mini..

If that's the case, .exe files won't open. Those only open on Windows machines.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: .exe files? - 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the quick response - long time Mac user here without any experience on other platforms - you're probably correct - how can I check to see if it's Linux? For example on Mac I can go to "About this mac".

Second - so I guess I'd need to see if there are Linux versions of software she wants like iTunes or Safari - which probably don't exist.

Thanks again! Have a great New Year!

Lucy's Dad
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: .exe files? - 01-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Is there a giant lowercase n on a sticker on your palm rest, or a Windows sticker? The n would be the Ubuntu version of the Mini9, if it's got a Windows sticker, it's running Windows.
Or flip the unit over, on the bottom there will be a Windows sticker with the install key printed on it, if it's a windows version. There'll be a smooth black space where that would have been, if it's a Ubuntu Linux version.

There are no Linux versions of iTunes or Safari.. You can get Firefox for Linux.. Check out "Songbird" for a iTunes styled Linux media player..

Or you can just put OS X on your Mini9.. Assuming your SSD is large enough (it can be as small as 4gb for the Linux units)..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old

Default Re: .exe files? - 01-08-2009, 04:34 AM

I'm guessing you have the Ubuntu version.
Show her how to use the Add and Remove program option, its in the Apps drop down.
There is one way to run exe's. It may not work all the time, but it does work quite well.

Open up the termnal and type this

sudo apt-get install wine

This will install Wine, and program that uses fake windows API's to run windows programs in linux. Good luck. If you could let me know what the program is that she is trying to run, i would be glad to see what i can do to get it up and running or at least a free alternative.

« HELP I'm Having Trouble Making This Choice! | Install software from USB flash drive »