Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Allow myself to introduce.... myself! Refurb Mini 9 w/ WWAN en route - 04-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Greetings one and all!

Hi, I'm Ben, and well... I hit the jackpot last night!!! After refresh spamming the outlet store for about a month I finally found a Mini 9 w/ an open WWAN slot!

Double-jackpot was that it was in Black with 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, BT 2.1, 802.11g Wifi & 1.3MP Cam for only $299! Add the 15% coupon along with next day delivery and I get it tomorrow by 10:30AM for $304.

After reading through the forums (for several months) and searching the heck out of them as well I've come to a few questions about upgrade components, as some of this stuff can be a bit... confusing...

Questions:

-RAM: Kingston HyperX seems to be the favored RAM but I have a question about the Heat & Clock speed... Which 2GB RAM should I go with for primarily low temp and secondly performance?

-SSD: RunCore seems to be the all around favorite (and since I can't go with T-Style because of WWAN slot) will a RunCore Pro IV Light 50mm PCI-e SSD be my best choice for a SSD?

-WWAN Card:I couldn't seem to find much info on which card to acquire (or if it even makes much of a difference) so should I just go with the Dell 5530 or is there another, better card I can purchase?

-WWAN/WLAN Antenna: My machine has a WWAN antenna in the LCD cover.. but does it come with a separate WLAN antenna, or does it use the WWAN antenna, or do I need to acquire a WLAN antenna by itself?

Please, if you know of a thread in which any or all of these questions have been addressed I would really appreciate it if you could point me in that direction.

Thanks!
-Ben

ps. If anyone has any of these components or information that they would like to share / be rid of please feel free to message me here or email me anocer@yahoo.com

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Detailed Item Numbers & Descriptions on my order:

DP118 Base,No Bios,N270,1.6,512K Diamondville,910
C050H Module,Battery,Primary,32WHR 4C,Dynapack International Technology Corp
D160H Module,Adapter,Alternating Current,30W,2P,United States 910
G094H Module,Assembly,Base,W/WWAN 910
K342J Module,Information,OBSIDIAN BLK,Color
KW181 MOD,SW,DSPRT-CTR,2.0
M108J Module,Information,WO/WWAN
P156H Module,Bezel,Liquid Crystal Display,Silver,8.9,W/1.3CMRA
P231H Module,Cover,Liquid Crystal Display,IMR,Black,Wireless Wide Area Network,910
P334X Module,Dual In-line Memory Module,1GB,800MHZ,DDR2,1GBIT
R085H Module,Liquid Crystal Display 8.9WSVGA,True Life,Au Optronics Corp,Qiao Hong
R117H Module,Keyboard,61,English Qiao Hong,Windows,Dell Americas Organization
R847H Module,Solid State Drive,8GB Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment,STEC,910
T370H Module,Card,Network,Bluetooth QH/YM
W265J Module,Software,WXPHSP3,Low Cost,DVD,English,DAO/BCC
X625G Module,Card,Network,Broadcom Corporation,Arcadyan,US
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 04-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Welcome & Good Luck..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Kingston claims the HyperX RAM runs cooler, but the evidence for that seems slim and some people have had issues with it. I'd suggest buying whatever is cheapest from a name brand (Kingston, Crucial, G.Skill, etc.)

The RunCore Pro IV is a fine choice.

The WLAN antennas (two) will be installed. Hard to say whether a third WWAN antenna will be there. If not, I think most people just use the same kind of antenna as for WLAN - search eBay for "tyco minipci".

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 04-16-2010, 12:52 AM

rrfranczak3 - thanks

holmes4 - I'm not too concerned with the cost of components here; I would rather pay a premium for the higher quality longer-lasting product.

The component P231H (Module,Cover,Liquid Crystal Display,IMR,Black,Wireless Wide Area Network,910) includes a WWAN antenna for sure... the question is if a WLAN antenna is in there as well.

Thanks for the quick replies

I've been playing the tech support dance with Dell trying to see if they have some information on this but I haven't had much luck... big surprise there!

I'll definitely be popping it open once I get it tomorrow and looking around myself, I'll post some pics too!
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 04-16-2010, 02:04 AM

Since all Mini 9s have WLAN, I'd have to assume it includes the WLAN antenna. I too will pay more to get a better product, but in the case of RAM for the Mini 9 I don't see the value.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 04-22-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anocer View Post
R085H Module,Liquid Crystal Display 8.9WSVGA,True Life,Au Optronics Corp,Qiao Hong
You scored better than you even realize, you got an AUO panel.

Hands down better brightness and contrast ratio and color. Only neg is the viewing angle is half that of CHO and others.

Check your lcd in device manager. I'm curious if it actually shipped AUO.

Heres how So you think all a90/910 lcd panels are equal? Think again.
  (#7) Old

Default 04-25-2010, 07:31 PM

You are correct, sir!

My PnP Monitor lists AUO11C2 in the device details and I must say I am rather impressed at the quality of the monitor, given the size.

Additionally, I tend to prefer more narrow viewing angles as I am intensely private and can't stand having strangers looking at my work or something when I am out and about.

I've got an A90 arriving on Monday or Tuesday and I'll take some pictures to compare/contrast the two (I don't know which series display this A90 has offhand) - but I must say the AUO is rather impressive.

Since I'm going to be taking the trim, SSD, RAM & Keyboard off the incoming A90 & putting it on my Mini 9 I was wondering if there was anything I need to do prior to installing a wiped SSD (w/ UNR) and/or RAM in the BIOS or whatnot - anyone?
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 04-25-2010, 10:52 PM

No, nothing you need to do special.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 04-26-2010, 03:24 AM

Thanks Holmes!

By the way, when I received the Mini 9 this is what the backpanel revealed:

So at least this set-up does, in fact, come with the WWAN antennas ready to plug in!

Thanks all!
  (#10) Old

Default 04-27-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronASB View Post
You scored better than you even realize, you got an AUO panel.

Hands down better brightness and contrast ratio and color. Only neg is the viewing angle is half that of CHO and others.

Check your lcd in device manager. I'm curious if it actually shipped AUO.

Heres how So you think all a90/910 lcd panels are equal? Think again.
Is the AUO panel supposed to be better than this one?
Y614G Liquid Crystal Display, 8.9WSVGA, Light Emitting Diode, True Life, Lg Philips Lcd
Looking at the two of them side by side the LG looks to be just as bright (if not a little brighter) with as good of contrast but a significantly better viewing angle - I find that when looking at the AUO even dead-on there is always some edge that appears slightly out of the projected viewing angle. The LG is running XP & AUO is on UNR.

Dell Mini 910: Obsidian Black w/ Vostro A90 palmrest bezel & LCD panel trim, RunCore 64GB SSD, Crucial 2GB RAM, Open WWAN Slot, BT 2.1, 1.3MP Webcam, US-Int'l Keyboard, Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10

« Which model Dell Mini ( Newbe question ) | Mini 10 owner »