Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Re-install Ubuntu? - 04-15-2010, 01:40 PM

I would be grateful if somebody can tell me whether or not it is possible to re-install Ubuntu on a Mini 10 Netbook with static hard drive? Any advice would also be greatly appreciated. At the moment I have 8.04.2 which "fails" to update and I don't know enough about Linux to resolve this problem.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 04-16-2010, 04:21 AM

It's easy to install a normal version of Ubuntu on just about any netbook, with a SSD (solid state drive) or HDD (hard disk drive). It's also easy to delete any previous OSs during reinstallation (make sure your files are backed up elsewhere).

To install, you'll need to download a Ubuntu ISO, then either: burn it to CD/DVD and boot off in a USB optical drive, or specially transfer the ISO to a 1GB or larger USB drive (the drive will be completely erased during the process). See here for general install info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation. See here for USB drive creation instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

As for the preloaded "Dellbuntu", instead of normal Ubuntu, I don't know how easy it is to restore. I expect it's easy if you have a USB optical drive, but I've never tried it.

Finally, do you have the old Mini 10 (model 1010)? It's distiguishable by its Z series CPU and GMA500 graphics and HDMI out. The GMA500 has poor support under Linux, so you can either restore the factory "Dellbuntu" or read this info on the GMA500 drivers for normal Ubuntu. If you have the 10v (model 1011) or new 10 (model 1012), this warning doesn't apply (the GMA950 and GMA3150 in those models should work well in normal Ubuntu).

I hope this info helps.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Thank you very much indeed for all the information reflex. I appreciate it!!!

« Wlan wpa authentication problem | Side way screen »