Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Completely confuzzled - 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Hi! So I'm new...

The wife announced the other day "I want a new laptop"... ok... "a small one" ah! A netbook? "a whaaa?"

So we've been down to Akihabara and poking around, looking at netbooks and I've been on the internet looking at reviews.

Now I'm hooked on the netbook bug

I've always liked Dell PCs - use alot of Latitude and Optiplex series business computers and like how well they tend to "just work" and that they are pretty flexible for those who like to fiddle.

I've been looking at the Mini 10 series and been thinking I wouldn't mind getting one but am completely confused about what to get.

What I want is:
Something I can upgrade to 2gb, and throw a SSD into
Something that plays HD video well - 720p in particular
HD screen - I want 1366x768!!
6 cell battery

This would become my 2nd PC - I'll put Windows 7 on there and a whole pile of troubleshooting tools, and it'll just go in my work bag with my MacBook.

I'm not shy about cracking it open and poking around in the guts - I'm an IT consultant and spend most of my day doing rather crazy things with hardware and software to get it working and my home setup consists of a heavily overclocked and watercooled desktop, a high end (still all stock) i7 desktop, laptops of various ages and a small server farm made up of discarded GX270/280 desktops - sans cases

Here in Japan Dell still has the 10v on sale - slowly getting cheap. The only other option is the 10 (1012).

So what should I be looking at? A Mini 10 with a HD screen and 6 cell? A cheap 10/10V and swap out the screen and buy a battery?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-18-2010, 01:04 PM

You want the 1012 with the Broadcom Crystal HD option. I don't know when/if it will be available in Japan.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
You want the 1012 with the Broadcom Crystal HD option. I don't know when/if it will be available in Japan.
What about the rest of the world?

For now the 1366x768 is available - just ordered a Pretty Pink 1012 with HD screen for my wife - looking forward to ripping it to bits to see what I can do with it
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 03-19-2010, 02:21 PM

If Dell ever fills me in on their product plans, I'll be sure to let you know.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 03-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
If Dell ever fills me in on their product plans, I'll be sure to let you know.
From what I can scrounge up around the web they are aiming for a "2010 release" (or some other vague combination).
  (#6) Old

Default 03-23-2010, 12:53 PM

I wish I had an idea of when Dell are going to give us in the UK the option of the 1366x768 screen.

I so want to buy my 1012 now, but I bet as sure as eggs are eggs they will offer the option after I place my order

« Dell Mini 10 (NOT 10v) Install Ram | Hi There - MacNet64 new user »