Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default OK, got my 1010, what can I do with it? - 03-16-2010, 10:04 PM

It was from the refurb store, so I picked what looked suitable.
Looks like I have the DVB-T card but no antenna, anyone know of a suitable one.
Have the bluetooth, and the wifi,
Need to get the keyboard off the see if I have the wwan card as I have the sim slot under the battery.

Need to try to locate that CPU/Memory upgrade daughter board too.

Looks like a cool little toy that just needs some tweaking.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Oh and do these things have a built in microphone?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Forget the CPU/Memory upgrade - it will cost more than the whole netbook. You don't have the WWAN card - the slot in the case is there for everyone, but there's nothing behind it unless you ordered a configuration with WWAN.

Yes, there is a microphone. It should be identified in the manual.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Forget the CPU/Memory upgrade - it will cost more than the whole netbook. You don't have the WWAN card - the slot in the case is there for everyone, but there's nothing behind it unless you ordered a configuration with WWAN.

Yes, there is a microphone. It should be identified in the manual.
Before wielding the screwdriver of doom, will I have the mini pci-e slot? Seen plenty of the wwan cards on ebay.

We have an account with Dell at work, so I might just have a word with our account manager and see just how silly priced the upgrade card is. That will put me off. So good of people to put the official part number on the forum.

I'm not too bothered about taking the unit apart. About 10 years ago, I worked for Celestica when they had (don't know if they still do) the Dell laptop repair contract for the whole of Europe and South Africa, so I'm pretty familiar with pulling about Dell Lappies. Mind you back then it was about bigger is better, and I was one of the first people outside the assembly plants to get to pull about the first 15" Inspirons. We didn't even have service manuals, or test beds. We were just given our tools and a working model and told to strip it down, then put it back together, if we had no parts left over, no fires, and it worked, we were good to start on the dead ones.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM

Damn, our account manager can't find the part in his upgrade kit section that he has access to, but is going to keep looking. His other suggestion was to try Technical support.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM

dont know if you have the DVB-T card either (unless maybe if you are not in the states, the DVB-T card is for Europe I think?), DELL just offers the ASTC (US) form of TV which is just the OTA signals, by the way the price I got for the daughter board was $554 and that was for one (1), yes one, that they happened to have in the refurb dept. and the tech said he would need special permission from a supervisor just to sell it to me....I told him to keep it..politely (lol)..

PS. Welcome to the forum..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Typically, you will not have the slot for the WWAN card if the configuration did not include the card.

I recommend browsing the Mini 10 section of the forum for information and tips.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Good news, but not cheap, got a response from the account manager.
I have a price for the daughterboard.
Z530 1.6 2g ram for 1010
"RoHS:Yes,ASSY,PWA,SYSM,Z530,1.6,2G,1010"
£108.01 INC VAT, no shipping listed.

And yes rrfranczak3 I am in the UK, so in Europe.

Guess I can find an antenna somewhere, but do I want to splurge 2/3rd the price of the book for the upgrade to the memory.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 03-18-2010, 02:30 PM

I would say it is not worth it.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I would say it is not worth it.
I'm toying but at least we now have an idea of what they cost.
Even though I got the info from account manager in the UK, the email to send a purchase order to is a very indian sounding name. So it would be ordered direct from technical support.

Don't know if it would be any more expensive to buy it retail from them. We do buy quite a few servers and desktop PCs over the space of a year. Not enterprise level but up there at the higher end of a techie SME.
  (#10) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Just a thought, but do you know where I can locate the part number for the single USB subassembly that also contains the USB mechanism that sits behind the battery?

I tried a sim card in the slot in mine and it didn't latch which suggests I have a subassembly without sim card mechanism.

If I can compare the parts/numbers I can confirm it.

Also, as no external antenna has been included, is it as simple as removing the DVB-T board and plugging in a WWAN 5530?

I could tether or bluetooth through my Samsung Omnia because I've done it before, but would prefer a card based internal solution with its sim.

« I cannot access my bios on my dell 10v mini | Any 10v Windows 7 optimization tips »