Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 9 - Upgrade consideration - 03-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Hello. Love the site. This is my first post, please be gentle...

I own a Mini 9, got it early 2009. Considering upgrading. I have three questions:
  1. 32gb or 64gb?
  2. The super talent web site says this : The Half Mini and DW Half Mini 2 PCIe SSDs are upgrade modules specifically designed to be a drop in replacement for the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook PC. The DW Half Mini 2 PCIe SSD is the worlds’ first and only 128GB drop in upgrade module for the Dell Mini 9 requiring no HW modifications as long as there is no installed WAN module! The Half Mini 2 PCIe SSDs are compatible with WAN modules installed. - Im not totally thick, but not over techy either. Im more a software girl than hardware. How do I know if I have WAN module installed?
  3. SLC / MLC - which is better? Only really use the netbook at the moment for surf, but thats because I installed Windows 7 and its not capable of anything else.
Would appreciate some help.
Thanks in advance for reading my post.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-06-2010, 12:22 PM

1. Can you afford 64GB? Then get 64GB.
2. Open the bottom cover of the Mini 9 - remove the two screws first. With the battery "up", look to see what's inside. Upper left is the SSD. Upper right is RAM, lower right is WLAN. Do you have a card in the lower left space, or is it empty? That's where the WWAN option goes. Unless you ordered the 9 with the WWAN, it won't be there - not even a socket to go into (usually.)
3. SLC is faster but MUCH more expensive, and certainly not worth it on a 9. Go for MLC.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Yes, welcome to the forum. I was also considering getting the bigger SSD for mine, but the cost is almost half of what I paid for the device.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#4) Old

Default 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

Have decided on the 64gb MLC. Appreciate the help on this front. Unfortunately it is out of stock here in the UK at present :-(

My next issue is, windows 7 starter installed and have no discs. Would not have a clue on how what to do next. Appreciate how to install the card. Found information on the net for that.
As for re-installing software etc, there seems to be overwhelming conflicting information on how to do this when you have no disc drive and no discs.

Any help would be appreciated. Starting to think, I have bitten off more than I can chew!
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Where did you get Windows 7 Starter for the 9?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Send a message via MSN to Atan3
Default 03-26-2010, 01:23 AM

I have my XPS 13 and my Inspiron 1318, but I'm ptreey accident prone, so something more portable (and less pricey!)... definitely just wanted to try the Mini 9 tablet project by Rock99Rock so I went for it and got a 32GB SSD too, so I'd have a lil modding room.... Wish me luck...

.... close your eyes and see, when there ain't no light
BB - 216F2EAA

Mini 9|2GB RAM|32GB SuperTalentSSD+San Disk 32GB Flash+San Disk Cruzer 16GB Flash|Windows 7 Ultimate -Slimline|Windows Vista Home Premium -Slimline

« need help on reinstalling win xp | what apple sticker should i buy? »