Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hello all and just one question - 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM

Hello all great forum! Well glad I found you now that I've just today got hold of a dell mini 9 from ebay for a good price. It has the slot in it for a SIM card for Virgin mobile broadband. Or 3G right.

My question is Virgin sell the dongles but I just want a SIM card. Do they do pay as you go ones and what internet allowances and rates do you get with pay-g SIMS for when your using it for the internet this way?

Hope you can help. It's running XP atm but I will be defintely looking into dual booting it with a Ubunto distro so might see you round. Thanks for your answers!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 03-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Welcome.

Before you go buying anything, make sure it actually has the SIM slot and WWAN card. Most Mini 9's (mine included) just have a SIM card sized hole and a blank spot on the motherboard for the WWAN card.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Hello thanks alot. Just to clarify I meant Vodafone and not Virgin. I have received this netbook today and it already has the Virgin mobile broadband software installed on it. It has a slot under the batter to accept a SIM card which I have inserted and it wants to connect to Virgin 3G UK mobile broadband. I don't have any credit on the SIM as of yet though so guess that's why it couldn't connect. I need to find out the number for that SIM and put some credit on it because you can send and receive texts through it. I'm not sure about a blank spot for WWAN card as it has wifi if that's what you mean.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkcoy View Post
Hello thanks alot. Just to clarify I meant Vodafone and not Virgin. I have received this netbook today and it already has the Virgin mobile broadband software installed on it. It has a slot under the batter to accept a SIM card which I have inserted and it wants to connect to Virgin 3G UK mobile broadband. I don't have any credit on the SIM as of yet though so guess that's why it couldn't connect. I need to find out the number for that SIM and put some credit on it because you can send and receive texts through it. I'm not sure about a blank spot for WWAN card as it has wifi if that's what you mean.
Open the back of your Mini 9. There are a total of four devices under the panel/door.

Top left is the SSD drive
Bottom left is the WWAN card (broadband mobile)

The RAM and Wireless LAN adapter are on the right side.

If there is no WWAN card present, putting a SIM in won't matter. All Mini 9s come with a wi-fi card, but you also need a WWAN card to use mobile broadband.

If the SIM card went in properly (and you can eject it), it's a safe bet the unit came with the WWAN card, but I'd check anyway.

Getting an iPad

Tags
dell

« Hi all | Just geting things straight. »