Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hi all - 03-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Just wanted to say hi, found this place when browsing for a way to install Snow Leopard on my 701. After reading a few things here I ordered a 10v from Dell which I hope to have tomorrow and want to put leopard on it straight away. i never really got on with Windows so use Karmic 9.10 on my desktop and EEEBUNTU 4 Beta on a EEE pc so wanted to have a non microsoft alternative on the 10v

Anyways great site and loads of good info for me to read

(#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Hi 'wanger man', and welcome to the Forum.

As you will probably have found out already, the best section to read (and enquire!) about installing Snow Leopard on your new 10v is: Mac OS X - Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion at MyDellMini

If you do happen to get stuck... which hopefully you won't, I am sure that someone will soon be able to put you back on the right tracks again!

Don't forget also that you will need a retail copy of Snow Leopard though will you, which will only cost about $25 (£20) or so, from somewhere like Amazon.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old

Default 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Hi 'wanger man', and welcome to the Forum.

As you will probably have found out already, the best section to read (and enquire!) about installing Snow Leopard on your new 10v is: Mac OS X - Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion at MyDellMini

If you do happen to get stuck... which hopefully you won't, I am sure that someone will soon be able to put you back on the right tracks again!

Don't forget also that you will need a retail copy of Snow Leopard though will you, which will only cost about $25 (£20) or so, from somewhere like Amazon.

Hello

thanks for the welcome. I have a retail dvd on order from amazon uk for a reasonable £20 I think if Microsoft followed this route or even for free like linux a lot of people would not go down the torrent route for their operating systems.

I do have a 250gb western digital hard drive and can borrow a mac, have a usb dvd drive as well so have a couple of options on the install.

To be honest I only really want OSX on a pc so I can sync Itunes as it does not work under "WINE" in Ubuntu plus of course I like to try something different. I have had a good look around so hopefully the install will go smoothly.

Not too worried about downgrading bioses I used to change the one on my EEE PC all the time but from looking here if I have A06 installed I do not have to downgrade anymore.

(#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM

If you are buying a brand new Mini 10v, it should come with A06 anyway, and as you say, it is NOT now necessary to downgrade it to run OS X.

An excellent selection of guides can be found here, and is what most of us have used, with Netbookinstaller 2 being the most popular, I think.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#5) Old

Default 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Got the Mini today
Amazon did not deliver Snow Leopard

Ho hum

« Starting over, please help. | Hello all and just one question »